f o u r t e e n 1

Start from the beginning

Strangely, he turned to me and put on the most somber face I had ever seen him wear. “Danyelle,” Vickie gasped. So did I, but internally. I would not let that gorilla in Jimmy Choos get the satisfaction. Teddy took off his hat again, revealing his hair that I loved.

“What would you say to a baseball game with me tonight…” he glanced down at his watch. I must have looked skeptical or at least a little doubtful. I think it was my shock, because Vickie sneered and Teddy said quickly, “We could pick up the food for your kin, real quick. It ain’t gonna take much time to get there and back for you to git some rest...”

I gave him a quick hug. “Of course, Teddy!” And he beamed, his left dimple showing. Vickie huffed and stormed off, muttering something about having an appointment anyway, and Teddy and I stepped into the soda pop shop.

The soda pop shop was very crowded and as I looked around, I realized it was the character of old-fashioned Sheathing. It looked like a bar, with barstools by the ordering window. There were pictures of Babe Robinson all over the walls, and also a billboard with the “Soda Pop Shop Hall of Fame”, featuring celebrities who had either entered or eaten at the shop. Two giggly girls laughed as they shared a root beer vanilla float. That reminded me of Mom, who was probably really worried. I shook my head free of the memory. Teddy gave me a strange look, and I smiled at him reassuringly.

I quickly stepped up to the counter and ordered about 10 burgers, fries, and sodas (orange) for Ceon and the crew. As we waited for the food, Teddy and I shared a basket of French fries large for a snack. After he swallowed, he opened his mouth but was interrupted a shrill ring coming from my bag. Quickly, I dug into my bright pink backpack for my Blackberry. A yellow IM bubble flashed rapidly across the screen: “4 new messages”. “Hold on,” I said to Teddy, who nodded and took another French fry. The first one was from Mario:

Mari0_r0ll3r25: look dan, im sorry but don’t ignore this message.. fletch and the kids r in the sheating centrl library… just take the S42 to the stop bfore last

I still didn’t listen to his directions and ignored the message anyway. Too late, Mario.

The rest were from Mom:

Mckenzie.Sydney: Danyelle, where are you? I called Bertha’s mom, and she told me that you and Bertha had a disagreement. In the 3rd grade. So clearly that was a lie.

Mckenzie.Sydney: You’ve never lied to me before, so what’s going on now?  Just imagine how I must have felt when Bertha’s mom told me that you guys don’t even speak to each other, much less sleepover.

Mckenzie.Sydney: Just please answer your phone. –Mom

        I felt terrible, but if I responded, she would be able to see where my service signal was coming from, and she would be able to come get me and that would be that. So I just left the reply box blank and sat frowning at my phone.

Teddy turned to me, a concerned look etching his face. “Are you a’right?” he asked me.

“Yeah, I’m great,” I said quietly, trying to smile.

He stared at me intensely, those brown eyes trying to read me. I squirmed a little, until the cashier called my number and I got up to claim my meal. “Thanks,” I said, handing the waitress a fifty-dollar bill. Her eyes widened as she gave me my change, about $25. I just shoved everything, including the change into the back pocket of my shorts. The guilt was overwhelming; knowing I was here in another town, getting junk food while my mother was wondering where I could be. As I walked back to the table, Teddy held out the half-empty basket of fries to me. I shook my head no, and he shrugged and quickly ate the rest.