Chapter 12

Katelyn's POV

I was eating in the cafeteria with April when Chandler's mom came rushing in.

"Katelyn," she called happily. "Chandler's awake. He's asking for you."

I tried to contain my joy as I gave April a smile before getting up and following Gina.

The thought of having to talk to Chandler again immediately rained on my parade. I may have been able to forgive him, but it was still going to be awkward.

Gina and I stopped in the doorway.

Chandler slowly turned and looked at us, his eyes sleepy.

"I'll give you some privacy," she said softly and walked out.

I sighed and sat at Chandler's bedside.

He was silent for a moment.

"I can't believe you flew all the way out here," he mumbled.

"Of course I did," I said quietly. "I care about you."

He nodded before turning to look at me.

"Katelyn, I'm sorry," he said sincerely. "I was a jerk."

"Chandler-" I tried, shaking my head.

"I'm sor-" he started, trying to take my hand.

I stood up and pulled away. "I can't," I said sadly. "I just came to see you were okay."

And with that, I left the room.

As I walked down the hallway, I held back tears. I thought I knew what I wanted. I could've sworn I was still in love with him. And maybe I still was. But talking to him brought everything back.

I met April in the cafeteria.

"I wanna go home," I told her.

"What happened?" she asked. "Is Chandler okay?"

I nodded. "He's fine and I wanna go home."

Though confused, April nodded. "Let's go get our luggage from the hotel."

We got a taxi and got our luggage, heading to the airport.

We were about to go through security when I heard a voice behind me.

"Katelyn! Wait!"

I turned and Chandler was heading towards me, stopping in front of me.

"Chandler, how are you here?" I asked, not able to believe it.

"The doctor cleared me," he said. "Please don't leave."

"Chandler, I really don't-" I started.

"I shouldn't have left," he cut me off.

I sighed shakily. "Why did you?" I asked, choking up. "Was I that horrible?"

"No!" he exclaimed, grabbing my hand. "It wasn't you."

I scoffed. "It wasn't me, it was you, right?" I asked. "Really?"

"It's true," he promised. "I...I don't really have a lot of experience with being in love. I didn't fall in love with Hana and I definitely didn't fall in love with Brianna. The whole idea of it is still kinda scary to me."

"Why didn't you talk to me about it?" I asked softly.

"Because you were so confident about everything," he sighed. "You never wavered. I didn't want you to think I was having second thoughts. But I should've. I'm sorry."

I exhaled and took a step towards him. "How do I know you won't leave again?"

He looked off to the side before staring back at me. "I guess you don't know," he stated. "But I promise that from now on, I will find a better way to deal with everything than leaving."

I stood there staring at the ground for a moment before looking back at him, tears in my eyes.

"I missed you," I whispered.

He smiled. "I missed you, too."

He pulled me into a tight hug. I wrapped my arms around him and buried my face in his neck.

(Why do I imagine the Fosters theme song playing over this scene? 😂😂)

When we pulled away, I chuckled. "So what happens now?" I asked.

"We'll figure it out," he said simply.

We only remembered April as she came up to hug us.