Chapter 1

Chandler's POV

I was sitting with Katelyn during the wedding reception for Monica Goldberg, my ex-fiancé, and Mike Goldberg, listening to music. Katelyn drank champagne while I drank Diet Coke (because I'm a bohemian).

We were listening to "I Can't Help Falling in Love with You" by Elvis. I had asked Katelyn if she wanted to dance but she said her feet were really hurting so we didn't.

If I was going to be honest, I was kinda glad she said no. I'm a terrible dancer.

"Hey, Katelyn?" I said, turning to her. I had to make my voice a little loud so she could hear me.

She turned to me and raised her eyebrows.

"I'm gonna go look for Monica," I told her. "There's something I wanna talk to her about."

She smiled and nodded.

I put my glass on the table. I figured that Monica would probably be with Mike so I started heading over to him.

But once I got closer to him, she was nowhere to be found.

"Mike!" I called.

He turned to me and smiled, grabbing my hand and pulled me in, clapping me on the back. (Author's Note: Yes, I know that sounded really weird, but I didn't know how else to describe that version of a bro hug.)

"What's up?" he wondered.

"Have you seen Monica?" I asked.

"Uh, she said she was going to the bathroom," he remembered. "But now that I think about it, she's been in the bathroom for a while. I should go check on her."

He started walking and I jumped in front of him. "It's okay," I assured. "I got it." I clapped him on the shoulder. "You stay here and enjoy your reception."

After some hesitation, he nodded.

I headed out of the room and searched the halls, not finding her anywhere.

I decided to search outside.

Opening the door, I was blinded by the orange light. The sun was setting but I could still see everything clearly.

And sure enough, there was Monica. She was sitting on the bench, the excess of her dress pulled up beside her. She had her hands in her lap and she was staring at them, as if lost in thought.

"Monica?" I called.

She looked over at me in surprise.

When she realized who I was, she sighed and greeted, "Chandler."

I walked over to her and she pulled her dress into her lap so I could sit next to her.

"What are you doing out here?" I asked. "Why aren't you in there enjoying your reception?"

Monica opened her mouth and closed a few times before finally staring at her feet and answering, "I feel guilty."

I scrunched my eyebrows together in confusion. "Why?"

She sighed. "I don't regret getting married to him," she tried to explain. "That's not it....I guess I just felt pressured to get married so quickly."

"Pressured?" I questioned. "By Mike?"

"No," she assured quickly. "He's amazing. It was from everyone else. Myself, my parents, his parents, you and Katelyn-"

"Whoa," I cut her off. "How did me and Katelyn pressure you?"

"It was nothing that the two of you did," she assured me. "It's just...you two have the perfect relationship. I guess I was a little envious."

"Wait," I laughed. "Katelyn and I don't have a perfect relationship. We fight all the time, you know that."

"Yeah, but," she said exasperatedly, as if not knowing how to prove her point. "I've never doubted that you two would make up. Even when Kate came to see me when you two were fighting. When we talked, I could tell that she was trying to be mad, but she was on the verge of tears."

I opened my mouth to respond, but nothing came out.

"I guess I'm just really overwhelmed by everything," she admitted.

After taking a moment, I sighed and adjusted my body so I was facing her.

"I haven't known Mike for very long," I started. "But the very first thing I noticed about him was how much he loves and cares about you. You should tell him what you just told me. And if he's ready to be a husband, he'll understand."

Monica scrunched her eyebrows together and looked down, obviously thinking. Finally, she nodded and glanced up at me.

"You're right," she said. "I'm gonna do that."

"Good," I encouraged. "But not tonight. Tonight, relax and enjoy your wedding. But don't put it off for too long."

She smiled. "I won't."

Pulling me into a hug, she said, "Thanks, Chan."

I reciprocated the hug, feeling genuinely happy for her.

When we finally let go, there was an awkward pause between us. Neither of us looked away.

I was surprised to find us both inching closer to each other.

Finally, Monica looked away.

"I'm married, Chandler," she mumbled. "And you're dating Katelyn. Don't forget that."

She then looked up at me and smiled as if nothing had happened.

"Okay," she sighed. "You should head back in."

"Aren't you gonna come with me?" I asked, gesturing to the building.

She shook her head. "I'll be in in a sec."

After some hesitation, I nodded and stood up, walking towards the building.

I could feel Monica's eyes on me the entire time.

---------------------------------------------
Author's Note: I'm back 😏😉