Chapter 8

Katelyn's POV

I drove down the street, pulling into the driveway that belonged to the house that I knew by heart.

All the nights I would drive hear to eat pizza and binge watch reality tv with the family that resides in it.

My suitcases were packed in my trunk, waiting to be taken to the airport and put on a plane. I was wearing an oversized sweatshirt, sweatpants, and sneakers while my hair was up in a messy bun.

It made me look like a toe but whatever.

Sighing and gripping the steering wheel, I slowly opened the car door and got out, holding my keys tightly in my hand.

Every step filled with hesitation, I walked up to the door, rapping my knuckles on the wood a few times.

I wasn't sure if I wanted Chandler to answer it or not.

After a moment, the door opened. Gina, Chandler's mom, stood there, her apron wrapped around her.

When she recognized me, she quickly took it off and enveloped me in a hug.

"Oh, Katelyn," she said hastily, her voice high pitched.

I closed my eyes, grateful to actually have someone to hug.

When we let go, she gave me a sympathetic look. "I heard about what happened. I'm sorry. Sometimes I really question my son's motives."

"Yeah," I said and looked over her shoulder. "Is he here?"

"I'm afraid not, sweetie," she denied sadly. "His plane will have already taken off by now."

"His plane? Where's he going?" I asked, the two question so run together that they could have been one.

"New York," she answered. "He's doing press for the movie. His flight was originally THIS weekend, but he changed it to this morning last night. Said he wanted to be there early."

I knew about him having to do press. We had talked about it. I didn't have to go to it.

I also knew that Chandler hadn't changed his flight simply because he wanted to get there early.

But I didn't want to get into it with Gina so I put on a smile, the action feeling so fake that it hurt.

Sensing my discomfort, she decided to change the subject. "Would you like to come inside?" she asked, gesturing to the interior of her house.

"I would love to, but I'm gonna have to pass," I politely declined. "I have to catch a flight in around 3 hours, and I kinda wanna stop for fast food before heading to the airport."

"Oh," she said, seeming taken aback by how quickly I must've said that. "Okay, well, have a good flight."

I smiled, this one genuine. It wasn't her fault that her son was a douche bag. "Thanks," I said.

She smiled back in response and turned away from her, heading towards my car.

I shot her one last smile as I got in.

She closed the door.

I simply sat in the driver's seat for a bit, feeling a tear roll down my cheek.

I let it sit on my chin for a moment before wiping it away defiantly and starting up my car, pulling out of the driveway and heading towards the airport.

I wasn't going to let my thoughts continue to surround around Chandler.

If he hated me, it was his loss.