Ruby

Tyler had to wait a while week until he went back to the Lady With A Scary Voice, and Tyler couldn't wait. Not for the Lady With A Scary Voice obviously, but for the person that confused him and made him feel strange, a feeling he had never felt before. He hoped that he would see them, as he had waited impatiently all week, thinking about the person.

As time grew he began to get annoyed with himself as he had nothing to call the person. He thought for a moment of something to call them temporarily and immediately their ruby red hair came into his mind. Ruby, he thought. Perfect.

This time Tyler didn't play on Mario on the way, but simply say and thought about Ruby. He wanted to see them more than anything.

'Are you ok Tyler?' His mom asked worriedly, noticing the boy sitting in a daydream through her car mirror. The boy said nothing; he was in deep thought about Ruby. Kelly sighed and wondered why he wasn't playing Mario for once. Was it because he was worried about going back? He didn't seem to care last time, and Angie had told her that Tyler needed to work on his communication skills to help with socialization and talking to other kids. Apparently Tyler was going to be meeting someone - a girl wanting to be a boy that's very unhappy. Hopefully they will get along; I mean, Kelly didn't see how they would get on, they're completely different, but if Angie was an expert then she'd better trust her on this.

Kelly tried desperatley to hide that she was nervous about Tyler meeting this girl; Josh, her name was. Or, that's what she made people call her. No one except her parents knew her real name.

Immediately in the waiting room Tyler spotted Ruby by their hair, fiercely hold under the grey cap.  Tyler stated for a long while, transfixed on Ruby. Whoever they were, they were very attractive and beautiful.

Ruby caught Tyler stating and flared fiercely and Tyler, hurt, shrank down into his seat. Ruby looked guilty and regretful now, their brown eyes big and caring. Tyler, alarmed, noticed Ruby had red stuff on their hands, and wide eyed Tyler stared again.

Before Ruby could do anything, a middle aged woman with a blonde bob burst into the silent waiting room. 'You!' She boomed,  glaring at Ruby, turning the same colour as Ruby's hair as she realised everyone was staring at her. 'What on EARTH have you done to your room??' She hissed,  her face scrunched up with anger. Ruby stayed calm. 'I painted it red.' They said, and Tyler was surprised at their girly voice. Tyler had expected her to have a low voice. 'Well, yes obviously,' the woman hissed furiously. 'why? You need to have a pink room, you're a girl', she spat. Ruby turned as red as her name. 'No Im NOT mom.' She glared at her mother angrily. 'What's wrong with red anyway?' She said, and the mother, look it af if about to boil over, stormed out, high heels clacking against the floorboards.

Ruby shrank down in her seat, blushing as everyone looked at her.

Tyler was very confused. Why would your mom think you were a girl if you weren't? He could see him getting confused, but your own mother? How?

The Lady With A Scary Voice popped her head around the door, and Tyler noticed Ruby's face soften. She beckoned her and Tyler and, both in confusion, followed her into her room.

They stood staring at each other for a while, wondering what to do. 'This is Tyler. Tyler, this is Josh.' She says in her scary quiet voice, looking from person to person. 'Hello Tyler,' said Josh politely and quietly. 'Hello Ruby,' said Tyler. Josh grew red. 'My names Josh not Ruby,' muttered Josh. Tyler worriedly looked at him. 'Oh. Sorry,' he mumbled. Josh smiled, showing white teeth and dimples, his eyes squinting.  Tyler felt another sensation, the same as when he first saw Josh, but stronger this time. Josh was looking at him, biting his lip.

The Lady With The Scary Voice left, so they were free to talk alone. 'So, are you a boy or a girl?' Tyler asked, frowning. Josh went a deep ruby red. 'I-I'm a boy,' he stuttered, looking at the floor. Tyler was even more confused. 'But why do you sound like a girl? And you have girly eyes and a girly figure,' said Tyler. He was postive he could make out an outline of hips and breasts through Josh's baggy shirt and jeans.

Luckily, unlike many other 15 year olds, Josh was patient with Tyler and didn't get mad. 'Well, I was born a girl, but I wanted to be a boy. So I am one now, because I want to be.' Josh shuffled anxiously.

Again Tyler was confused. You could choose what gender? How? If you were born like that, then that must be who you are, thought Tyler.

'Oh okay,' Tyler struggled to stutter out the right answer, as he didn't really understand.