Chapter Nine ~ The Fight

Of course, hate is a bitterly strong word, and I know that my Father is beyond feeling anything that strong towards an underdeveloped being. I don't even know how the word had crossed my mind, surely that look was completely imagined?

"Willow Fey Thomas." he said, his lips tight and unwilling.

"That's me." she said brightly, sending a wink in my direction.

Dumbledore's eyes followed her momentary gaze to me, and he began to mouth something quickly, before Willow turned back to him and skipped merrily through his grand office. Shrugging placidly at my father, I followed Willow over to the bookcase the held the Sorting Hat.

With a wave of his wand, Dumbledore brought the aging hat box down, and sent it's contents flying outwards and on to Willow's head. I expected an instant 'RAVENCLAW!', but it did not come. In fact, the hat was taking so long, that we all took a seat.

Willow sat at a simple stool positioned in the centre of the office, and I took up my place on a plush arm chair opposite my father's own grand chair. The strange face of the Hat seemed to be musing, silently. At such a close proximity, there would be no secrets.

"Hmmm... Tricky...." he barked, his voice deep as mahogany.

"Yes?" said Willow curtly, her face mixed with frustration and anxiety.

Odd... This must be really important to her...

"Not a Hufflepuff, that's for sure... You aren't loyal enough..." he declared, ripping a look of bewilderment from Willow.

"And we both know that you're not a Gryffindor." he said, his voice incredibly cold.

Dumbledore's face was still, almost smug at the word's of the surprisingly biased Sorting Hat. I felt an uncomfortable feeling creeping up my spine, something was wrong. Willow was so kind, we just sat down and talked for hours, and she was compassionate, wise and.... she was my friend.

"Clever enough to be a Ravenclaw... Very, very clever.... You want to be a Ravenclaw? I know you do... But why?"

"Will you focus your shallow, enchanted mind on the matter at hand!" screeched Willow, her eyes widening in fury.

"You are not a Ravenclaw, Willow Fey." said his voice, far from confronted.

But... That only left one option...

"SLYTHERIN!" he hissed, his face presenting a sadistic smile.

Dumbledore's face was a riddle to me, and I couldn't crack it if I tried. Willow's was less of an enigma, it was sheer fury. She gripped her wand, an eerily familiar wand, and suppressed a boiling rage within her. I though, for a moment, that she was going to rip up the hat, but Dumbledore took it to safety.

I coughed a little to gather Willow's attention, and her look changed dramatically. Her green-blue eyes softened, her mouth parted slightly, and a single tear drop fell down her cheek. The sincerity she projected was enough to wipe away my doubts, my eyes were failing me.

"I suppose I'm just like the rest of my family..." she spat, her face filled with bitter disappointment.

"No, you don't have to be!" I called out, resting my arm on her shoulder.

A strange excitement grew in me as I realised that I could help Willow. She was trapped in the shadow of her family, which was perhaps why my Father had given her that look, and why the Hat had been so cold. That's it! I understand!

"I'll escort you to Slytherin house, Willow." said Dumbledore, his voice returning to a merry tone.

"Oh, you don't have to-" she began, before she shrugged in defeat and allowed him to walk her out.