Knowing

I was numb all over. I was in a terrible state of shock. Riley had just been murdered right there in front of my eyes and I couldn't let go. He was mine but now Alice/Penelope had him. Well, at least they both had company now. "Alice, come on. Do you want me to hand you over to him?" David was still dragging me along; he was holding me so hard that I could feel the purplish bruises already journeying to where he gripped me.
"What are you doing?" I rasped weakly. Was he helping me? Killing me faster? Slower? I don't know.
"Helping you. You are just a girl who knew nothing of this - you are innocent in this little game of his. All of you were. Now come on. We don't have much time." I was still puzzled. He hadn't noticed that my question meant two things: are you killing/helping me and why are you seeming to be so loyal but then you take me from his clutches? I decided to approach the question differently.
"Why are you doing this when you know you could get killed in the process?" It wasn't clear but he looked like he knew what I meant.
"Because it's hard to watch someone grow and not get attached." It was short but it was enough. He was attached to one of us three as he had patrolled and watched us for so long that he knew how scared we could get.
"Tell me." I wanted the rest, just out of curiosity.
"Alright, but you have to promise to carry on walking as we talk." He let go of my arm and I gasped in agony. I hadn't realized how much he had been supporting me until the support was gone - my leg was blistering and gushing out blood. I felt faint and exhausted. But I would have to keep going. "Steady on. I think it's best if I carry you." That's when he lifted me up with ease and carried on speed walking. "There was a woman and we met when I was at the B&B and was undercover for Tristan's father. She was the most beautiful thing that I had ever seen! The way she looked at me- anyway, her name was Rosella and she had shimmering blonde hair and ocean blue eyes with the softest skin. One night she found me and we got talking. She already knew - though I don't know how - that I was working for Tristan's father. Knowing that I was a loyal agent, her agency got in touch and asked me to join them, I asked what I had to do and that was to spy on my old agency. I did. But me and Rosellas relationship went too far. She fell pregnant. She didn't realise the risks like I did; my agency was after her for her fortune and now she had to go on the run with a child inside of her.
She had the baby - but it wasn't just one. It was twins. We both pretended that the Dad wasn't me so that I could continue spying and maybe look after the girls myself one day. Murdered. She was murdered by Tristan's father right there in front of me. I held back the tears for later. They ordered me to keep an eye on the children but I lied about their whereabouts for years until you walked right into their arms." He yearned for breath and took in a lungful of oxygen. Realisation crept into the crevices of my face. This man called David was my father. That explained why he was so kind and why I had chosen Rosella as my fake identity. We were linked.
"Thank you. Father." He deserved to be thanked for all that he had done. Chuckling, he picked up his pace a little.
"Your welcome sweetie, but I want you to know that I love-" a shot rang out behind us. Times up. David gripped me ever tighter to his chest. My blood had drenched his shirt and hands, painting scarlet patterns all over them. Another shot and he was running...
I don't know how long we ran for. Everything was fuzzy and unclear in my vision. My head felt as though it were about to fall off like a bag of weights. Four shots had rung out but we still hadn't said a word to one another. A final shot and I crashed to the ground, taking my consciousness with me...