Chapter 9

"I heard the Prince dragged you out to the gardens. Is that right?" The Queen questions and I clenched my dress.

"Yes, Your Highness is correct." I answered, head still looking down to show respect.

"Hah! What is my son thinking?" She laughed and stood up from her seat.
As she did that the King's eyes was showing a hint of wariness.

"Hold on dear.. There's no need to do anything violent." He grabbed her hand but she pulled her hand away.

She walked proudly showing her high status and stops on the edge of the stairs.

"Come closer." She orders.

As I stopped in front of her, I looked down of course. I wouldn't dare to look at her straight in the eyes. She slapped me hard on my left cheek and exhaled with anger.

I stared at the ground in shock.

"You..!" She started with a tone so cold that even the King is shivering. "Did I not tell everyone to help the prince find a ROYAL specifically?! What are you doing?! Do you think all this is a joke?" She shouted at me and slapped me again until I fell on the ground.

"Get up!" She ordered. I was scared and nervous that I didn't react very quickly to what she ordered.

"GET UP! I said get up you fool!!!" She shrieked.

I immediately stood up.

What did I do so wrong to deserve this.. It wasn't my fault that he helped me from that perverted old man..

"Bah..! If I was king I wouldn't know what I'd do to you.. No matter.. You are of nothing great! Just a mere maid. I can finish you off with a flick of my finger." She said and shouted for the soldier at the front to come in.

"Kick her out of here and never let her in ever again!" The queen stated and smirked at me. "This is what you deserved. Know your place!"

"Halt! No one lay a hand on her!" A voice full of demand called out.

I looked back and saw Snow walking towards us.
The soldiers looked down and bowed.

"Mother what exactly are you doing?" He asked questioningly.

"Shouldn't I be asking you that? What exactly are you doing." She says.

"I am taking care of my friend. It's not a crime to be friends with our people." He answers and pulls me behind him.

I looked down with flushed cheeks, but at the same time I was scared.

"She is a maid. You shall not! And I repeat, NEVER engage with a low status!" She said.

"What do you mean I can not engage with a low status? It is my life. You can't control whoever I am friends with! And we are all human! We treat everyone with equality." Snow replies angrily. He squeezes my hand and I squeezed back.

She sighs and looked into his eyes with concern.

"This... is the first time you have ever talked back to your mother." She said. "Is she really someone you cherish that much? There are millions of others way better out there! Why would you never talk with them and.. stick with this one?" She asks raising her voice a little.

"Because.. I am attracted to her." Snow said with a smile on his face.

I stared at Snow with wide eyes.

What did he just.. say?

He glanced at me and smiled more.