Jonas's perspective

I walk back to my home smiling. The walk Kira and I went on, albeit conversation-less, was wonderful. Matty was right. Kira is extraordinary.

I've heard the men in the village talk about her uselessness, how no man would marry her because of her leg. To me, that makes no matter. Flaws are what make people unique. And Kira is unique. I knew that since the day Matty went to fetch her, since she found me with her gift.

Kira misses Matty, as do many people here in Village. Matty was the one who brought Kira to her father, whom she hadn't known was alive until a few years ago. Kira's father, Seer, was much like a father to Matty. When I broke the news of Matty's death to Seer, he took it hard.
I think back to the time I almost lost Gabe, the baby I took with me when I was a boy and ran away from my community. I'd felt pain before, excruciating pain, through the memories The Giver, keeper of memories before me, had given me, but losing someone close to you is a kind of heart shattering pain.

As I walked into my house, I found myself thinking about Kira and our walk, and how much I enjoyed it. I think about how much I look forward to eating the noon meal with her and Seer.
While I readied myself for sleep, I realized how much I like Kira, her power, her presence, the beauty in her flaws. I realized how much I wanted to get to know her more.
----------------------------------------------

I wake up the next morning with a small face staring at me.
"Gabe? What are you doing here?" I sit up, rubbing the remnants of sleep off my face.
Gabe steps back from my bed. "No school today. Mentor's sick."
I frown. "How did you find that out?"
I start getting dressed as Gabe explains.
"Jean came to the lodge to tell us. She said he'd be better tomorrow. There's not anything much to do so I thought I'd come over here."
I finish dressing as he finishes his explanation. "I'm afraid I'm going to be busy today, Gabe. I'm going to Kira's for the noon meal and after we're going for a walk."
Gabe pouts.  "Can't I come with you, Jonas? Seer likes me, doesn't he?"
I smile. "It's not a matter of if he likes you, which of course he does, won't you be bored all day if you stay with Seer?"
"Can't I come with you and Kira? I'll be hush, you won't even know I'm there."
I ruffle Gabe's hair. "Maybe. We'll ask Kira."

Shortly before noon, Gabe and I start down the path for Seer's house.
"Now, remember your manners, Gabe."
Gabe nods. "I remember. Jonas?"
"Yes, Gabe?"
Gabe stops to look at me.
"Do you like Kira?"
I smile. "Yes, Gabe. I like Kira."
We begin walking again. After a few moments, Gabe turns to me.
"Is it true what everyone says? That no one will marry Kira because she has a bad leg?"
I stop walking and sigh. "Kira does have a twisted leg. But that's hardly a valid reason to not marry her."
Gabe ponders on that. "Would you marry her, Jonas?"
We were approaching Seer's house.
"I don't know, Gabe. Who knows? Now, please go ahead and knock, politely, on the door."
"Okay, Jonas." Gabe says, running ahead of me.
----------------------------------------------