Lights

I wanted to be better for them. I wanted to be close to them. But I was too scared and awkward! I was afraid that if I got too close then they'd find out about my feelings and they wouldn't feel the same. So I just kind of...avoided them as much as possible. I know! It's stupid. But I couldn't help it.

"Oof--" The air was knocked out of me as I toppled to the ground. My bag spilt loose change, a book, my phone, and my makeup bag onto the ground. I glanced up to apologise, but when I made eye contact with unmistakable eyes I felt my cheeks heat up and quickly scooped everything into my purse and scurried away.

All I could think was, What do I do what do I do what do I do what do I do?

**************

I bumped into her and we both fell to the ground. Oh, geez, why does she have to be so hot? Oh, no. Do I scare her? Of course not, she just isn't interested in a freak like me. If only I could reach out and touch her... I couldn't stop the thoughts rushing through my mind.

But I didn't. Because if we touched and our chests didn't glow then it would be proof that the girl I loved wasn't my soulmate. I didn't think I could handle that.

I scooped up my papers and set them on my desk, then rushed into the gender neutral restroom. I locked the door and adjusted my binder, then fixed my hair and smoothed down my suit. I took a deep breath before exiting and almost bumping into her again.

"S-sorry about earlier," I said.

"It's fine," she said.

Okay. This is it. I'm going to do it. I can't take this anymore, I thought. "I'm Dani," I said, holding out my hand for her to shake.

"I know. I'm Kate."

I offered a tiny smile. "I know."

She was doing it. She was reaching for my hand. I could feel the warmth of her fingers, just barely a millimetre away. Our palms met and--

Nothing happened.

It was all I can do to blink back the tears.

"Nice to meet you," I said, and all but ran back to my desk. I sat down and swivelled my chair around for a second before burying my face in my hands.

"Hey, what's wrong?" Bryce said from next to me.

"I just met her," I say. Bryce immediately knew who I was talking about. His eyes widened.

"How did it go?" he asked excitedly.

"We shook hands."

His expression was replaced by one of sympathy. "I'm so sorry, Dani."

"I-I'm fine..."

"I've known you long enough to know you're not."

"I was so sure she was the one..."

"I know," he said. "But it'll get better. Your soulmate will appear event--whoa!"

I glanced up. "What?"

"You're glowing."

"I am?" I looked down and saw that not only my chest but my whole body was pulsating with purple light. I looked around and saw Kate standing in awe at her desk, her skin glowing pink. We made eye contact.

***********

"I couldn't believe it. I had found my soulmate. And they've been everything I dreamed of and more."

Dani blushes and buries their face in my shoulder. "Shut up."

"Hiding won't make it any less true," I point out.

"You're perfect," they murmur and peck my lips.

"And that is how I met my soulmate," I announce and kiss Dani again.

"Aww," everyone in the room says. Dani reaches up and flips them all off as our kiss becomes deeper and more passionate.

"Okay, Kate, kissy time with your datemate is over. Now it's your turn."

I reluctantly pull away and sigh, "Okay. Justin," I say slyly. "Truth or dare?"