Chapter 2

Chapter 2 The Way of the Brothers

Dusk gradually diminished, but the sky still kept a hue of pale grey. The cold had settled, though everything was still indistinct. My heart throbbed in anticipation from all the colors that crept into my vision. And goosebumps from sheer enjoyment did not vanish for even a moment. Everything was beautiful, engulfing me in a manner in which I could never describe with mere words. However; I was fading away with the breeze. My heartbeat slowing and my vacant mind echoed with troubling thoughts.

I listened to the Faceless Man and the stories of his brothers and the Creepypastas. I became engrossed by the tales and soon enough I desired to be a part of the dysfunctional family he depicted so affectionately. The undead, and the Slenders hand in hand, living together under one roof. I wanted that understanding, that feeling of acceptance. It's everything I never had with my family and recently recovered condition.

As far as I could tell, it seemed as though that flaws did not keep the family apart. Rather, the insecurities and problematic past is what drew each member together. In my own corrupted household, the past was a bitter reminder to us all, only encouraging the worst of us as we hated one another. Remembering that Becky was only a replacement for my mother's position, I always despised giving her the attention she craved and begged for. Every moment she called me "sweetie" or "darling", I would convince myself that it was passive and fake which deliberately made me more oblivious of her affection.

That would simply not be the case here. The children that Slenderman spoke so dearly of would embrace me for my differences and take me into their care. They will watch my back, tend me and help me grow in an environment where love is not fabricated.

"We're here," The tall man finally said grasping the air in front of him as though there were a door knob. I furrowed my eyebrows perplexed, but I proceeded to walk until I collided into what seemed like an undetectable wall. I placed my palm on the surface, studying the rigid patchy texture that bricks would offer with my sense instead of perception— something I had learned and genuinely loved to do being visually impaired. Correct, previously being visually impaired.

"Child," He cleared his throat, his voice lacking the intolerance I had suspected from him. From the stillness of his face, which was angled directly in my direction, I had a flicker of belief that he had been gaping at me. Of course, with his lack of feature, I could never be certain. I gradually strolled beside him, where he had gestured before, to discover an unexpected dimension beyond the imaginary door he held for me.

A mansion, it was a mansion. It stood high, towering among the trees, shading the sunlight that begged to meet me. It was one of the few striking things I wished to see when I got my eyesight. The walls of the mansion were the color of snow, and pine trees bordered the castle-like-house. What I assumed would be the house of a millionaire turned out to be owned by a sinister creature of a myth repeatedly told to children. I certainly missed much more about the world than I expected.

"Well hurry on," the man mumbled leading me through the world that was entirely present before me.

"This is where you live?"

"Surprising?"

I gazed up at the man, breathlessly. "Of course... it's extraordinary."

I paused in front of the enormous pair of raven doors, nervously eating the sleeve of my shirt. The door was embedded with gold drawings, which I was eager to feel. It reminded me of Braille. The embroidery seemed to speak a story of its own. Cavemen drawings, almost. My orbs trained about the work before me, but stopped immediately when they fell on a reflection in the tainted glass. My heart raced for a moment— I saw a girl. It wasn't clear and her figure was slightly blurry. But her skin was colored, her hair was dark and catastrophically curly. 'Is that- me?' I thought to myself. The answer was clear, but there was uncertainty pooling within me as the same question chanted in my mind once again. 'Is this all real? Am I really seeing this?'