Part 7: you should have waited

"Steve, I've found Pietro

"Steve, I've found Pietro." Eleana calls over the coms, her hands shaking and stomach lurching every time Pietro throws himself into the glass, blue strands of energy bursting around the cell from each impact.

At least she hoped it was still Pietro.

"We're on our way, stay put." Steve answered, his voice crackling through the interference.

With hesitant steps Eleana approaches the cell, watching as he keeps blurring in and out of focus, attempting to gauge his state of mind. Pietro's hair is longer, greasy and stringy, his usual platinum blond dulled by dirt and blood. The more he stops the more she can see he's covered in it, the dark red dried into his skin and ragged clothes.

Her happiness at finding him alive was starting to fade and she struggles to catch her breath, fighting away the thoughts that something was wrong, very wrong.

"What did they do to you?" Eleana whispers, unsure if he knows she's there.

Pietro barrels into the glass with his shoulder and Eleana had no idea how was it holding him, he seemed stronger, faster - if that was even possible.

"Please Eleana, let me out." His voice was hoarse, she expected that, however the rage he was trying to hide as his hands gripped onto the glass, unable to keep control of his movements, that had her fighting the urge to back away.

"I can't, we have to wait for Steve-"

"Printessa, please!" He banged his fist on the glass, shaking in and out of focus and when he looked at her,  god she wanted to open the door.

"I need you, help me," Something was off, Eleana knew it but hearing such desperation and sadness in his voice she couldn't take it anymore. Making the few steps to the control panel Pietro's eyes followed her every movement and her hand hovered over the release button, "please, Eleana, take me home."

Please be ok, please still be you.

The doors slide open and Pietro collapses onto her. His arms wrap around her waist, his head falling onto her shoulder. Struggling to hold his weight Eleana feels the bumps of his ribs through his worn shirt, smells the dried blood and sweat, his heartbeat fast and erratic like his breathing.

"You're ok now, they can't hurt you anymore." Eleana sighed through her tears, overwhelmed at having him close to her again. He would be safe now, whatever Hydra did to him, he was safe.

His fingers ghosted over Eleana's face, cupping her cheek and resting his forehead on hers. She missed the sneer on his lips just before they pressed to hers, rough where they were chapped, but Eleana didn't care kissing him back just as eagerly.

Breaking the kiss he places soft kisses over her cheek and up to her ear, "You taste different, Eleana...like betrayal."

"What did you say?"