epilogue

disclaimer: i am in no way promoting theft, as it is a crime punishable by law.

pacing the steps tentatively, i watch with mild fear as the door begins to creek open

pacing the steps tentatively, i watch with mild fear as the door begins to creek open. i shouldn't be so scared. i keep telling myself that, but my mind won't listen to me. it's a special day for darwin and me, and it has my chest tightening and stomach doing all sorts of stuff i don't think it should be doing.

today is our 1-year anniversary.

the door swings open, and i look up to find aspen with his usual frown etched to his face. "you look like you just shit your pants."

i let out a sigh, both relieved and annoyed that it isn't darwin in front of me but, instead, his well-mannered big brother. "thank you. i could say the same about you," i retort, observing his paler-than-normal face.

"whatever," he says, rolling his eyes. with a brow raised, he looks from my head to my toes and adds, "you actually clean up pretty good." i thank him (not entirely knowing whether or not i should be offended) and take a moment to assess his outfit: a navy, collared shirt paired with dress pants, much different than his usually casual attire.

"where are you going dressed like that?"

"doesn't matter. get in there and go on your date," he mutters, quickly making his way towards a range rover parked at the curb.

i shake my head, a smile playing at my lips. college boys are assholes.

"why do you look so happy?"

i turn around to face darwin, dressed similarly to aspen. somehow, he looks so much better. i'll never admit that to him, though. his ego's already through the roof. "wonderful greeting. you're turning into your bother," i scowl.

"aaaand she's back!" he laughs when i flip him off.

"what, no present?" i tease, pretending to look behind his back.

he rolls his eyes, pulling a hand from behind him to reveal a bag. "no opening it until after the date finishes," he says when i try to take a peak.

"where are we going?"

wrapping an arm around me, he presses a kiss to the to my temple and grins. "we're going to go shoplift hearts."

-the end-

-the end-

a/n: stay tuned for 2 bonus chapters and an author's note!! (: