18. prom preparations

a month ago, i had reenrolled in school. i didn't do it for darwin, i didn't do it for my dead parents...i did it for me. i realized that i was tired of shoplifting all the time, an activity that had not only become tedious but also seemed to bring bad luck upon me.

and now, here i am, sitting in front of a mirror and staring into the reflection of a girl — no, a woman — who is prettier than i could ever be. but the funny part is, that woman is me.

a shimmering, lavender dress sits on my body, the bottom half resembling a waterfall as it cascades down to the floor. i actually took the time to put on makeup, though it wasn't the way i had pictured the moment as a kid: a group of close friends circled around me, throwback tunes blasting from a radio. hand in hand, giggling and dancing.

i blow a breath through my nose, all too aware of how silly my fantasies used to be. if only younger me could see herself today.

rising from my seat in front of the vanity, i pull a brush through my hair and look dazedly at a picture that seems to be creased a thousand times over. it's frayed around the edges; maybe due to the many times i'd stared at it with a certain intensity. or the number of times i'd folded it and chucked it into a trash can, not knowing whether i wanted the photograph seared into my mind or incinerated from memory.

it depicts my mom and dad, their arms wrapped tightly around my figure as i grin up at the camera. often times, i found myself looking at it with a smile, reminiscent of the times that once were. but today, i only gaze at it with sorrow. tears line the rims of my eyes, threatening to escape as my mind wanders to the thought of what this night would've been like if my parents were still here.

they'd be proud of you, i think to myself. they'd be happy for you.

darwin's taking riley with him tonight. he'd stuffed a piece of paper in my hand the last time i visited his shop, and the words on it seem to mock me every time i glance down at them.

 he'd stuffed a piece of paper in my hand the last time i visited his shop, and the words on it seem to mock me every time i glance down at them

but it was alright. tonight, i would just have to show him what he was missing out on.

a/n: god, darwin is honestly being such a dick liKE FUCK YOU BOI KYRA IS AN INDEPENDENT WOMAN, SHE DESERVES SO MUCH BETTER. k im done bye