Chapter 12: All too well

● LEVY'S POV ●

I was...confused and a bit frightened, to say the least.

I never expected one of my bullies to subtly stand up for me, let alone stop a beating. That was where the confusion set in. My fear was a whole different topic entirely. Freed saw me and my scars, the part of me I tried so dearly to keep hidden. And I know only he saw, because the others were too busy hurting me or laughing.

And from what I saw, I knew he was scared; from what I couldn't be sure. There were several possible reasons I came up with as I laid in bed that night.

1. He was scared of getting caught

2. He was scared that I might die, which results in either fear of guilt or getting caught

3. He, in all reality, could deal some blows but never handle looking at the aftermath

Or worse case scenario:

4. He knows what I'm going through

I honestly hoped that the fourth reason was not even an option. Yes, they are my bullies and I shouldn't care what happens to them. Any normal person would want their bullies to suffer as much pain as they did them. But I know how much it hurts and I know the want and need of a sweet, painless release. And I would NEVER wish that pain upon anyone else, friend or foe. I wonder if that's what makes me weak. Why I could never stand up for myself.

Am I weak or just a natural born coward?

I decided to not answer that question tonight as I buried my head in my pillow and shut my eyes.

~~~

School was quiet the next day. There was no teasing, name-calling or shoving. There wasn't even the regular graffiti on my locker. I was nervous, just as before. This had to be the calm before the storm. I hated the silence, the chill in the back of your neck like someone is watching you.

Walking down the corridor connected to the entrance of the library, I sensed someone behind me. The hallways were empty, everyone in their own classes while I began to make my way to the library during my lunch period. I paused for a moment and glanced behind me. Noone. Nothing. I sighed in frustration at my constant paranoia. Just as soon as I started to continue forth, a pair of hands grabbed my arms and pulled me back. I was about to scream out of complete shock when a hand covered my mouth, silencing me. Instinct kicked in and I began to struggle against my captor. But of course they overpowered me and pulled me back to their chest.

"Stop struggling. I just want to talk," whispered a low, slightly husky male voice in my ear. I didn't want to listen. I was too scared to think rationally. He squeezed my arm, resulting in my muffled cry against his hand.

"We can do this the easy way or the hard way, McGarden. I prefer the easy way. I won't hurt you, I just need to talk with you."

As I processed his words, I stopped moving and nodded my head slowly. The hands released me and I scurried against the lockers as quick as I could. I finally looked at who grabbed me.

It was Freed.

He held a straight face and indicated with his index finger to follow him. Freed lead me through the school in silence. As we traversed the maze of a school, I dreaded Freed's next words. It seemed obvious what he would ask me. The scars and how they got there was a pretty interesting topic in of itself.

What could I say? What would I say? How much should I explain? I didn't know. This was already unexpected to begin with so I had no real preparation for this confrontation.

He led me to a set of stairs that I'd never seen before. There were hardly any lights, which gave the stairwell an eerie feeling. The stairs led to a locked door. There Freed took out a key, unlocking the door. He opened the door, light seeping into the dim stairwell and a fresh breeze blew through the stale air. I followed him through the threshold and looked around.