Chapter 5

As soon as Jacob had walked away bearing his smug grin, Connie retreated to her office, slamming the door shut firmly behind her.
She pressed her back against the door and covered her face with her hands as the reality of the situation began to dawn on her.
Jacob Masters was here, at Holby City Hospital ED.

He was right, he was the last person she had expected to turn up here, especially not as an Emergency Consultant.
When she left Peckham ten years ago, she thought that would be the last time she would see him, never did she imagine bumping into him again.

Connie took a look through the pane of glass in the door.
Her eyes immediately sought to find his whereabouts, and she soon spotted him leant casually against the nurses' station, chatting with a group of other nurses and doctors. The conversation seemed to be entertaining, as the others laughed at something Jacob said.
He was already fitting in well; Connie had seen the way the others were already beginning to value him as one of them.
Connie rolled her eyes and turned away.
Why was she letting him get to her like this?
He was just a face from the past, who meant nothing to her now, so why couldn't she stop thinking about him?

She had to remain professional of course, despite the situation - she couldn't let relations of the past impact on her work.
But she knew that inevitably, Jacob Masters arrival was going to mean bad news for her.

---

End of shift soon arrived, and the department members passed Connie on their way out of the department, as they all headed for the pub for their usual after work drinks.

Jacob hung back from the rest of the group when he spotted Connie and sidled up behind her.
"How about I buy you a drink boss?" he grinned.
Connie didn't bother to turn around upon the sound of his voice.
"No thank you." she replied bluntly.
Jacob raised his eyebrows "passing up the offer of a free drink?" he asked in shock.
"I don't drink on a school night. After work drinks at the pub really aren't my thing." she replied monotonously.
Jacob looked her up and down "it never used to be a problem..."
Connie locked her eyes on his. "Well it is now." She exclaimed.
She looked around to check no one was close enough to hear their conversation.
"You don't know me anymore!" She hissed.

Jacob merely chuckled in amusement, causing Connie to bite her cheek in infuriation at this irritating new persona Jacob seemed to have acquired.
Without another word, Jacob smiled once more, before simply walking away to catch up with the others, who were heading out through the reception doors.