Chapter 1

Connie took a large pile of patient files from Noel's hand, which was held out to her as she passed by the reception desk. She began to briefly flick through the documents as she headed in the direction of her office, but was forced to stop abruptly a few seconds later when a small child, no older than 4, ran directly in front of her, crossing her path. Connie rolled her eyes before swiftly resuming her journey.
Today was just another day as clinical lead of the emergency department, same old paperwork and an abundance of injuries awaiting her attention.

"I didn't know we were getting a new consultant" Charlie commented as he came up beside Connie and proceeded to walk alongside her.
Connie continued to scan her eyes across the pages of paperwork as they walked. "We're not?"
Charlie frowned and looked over towards cubicles, where the new face of the department, who had been introduced to the staff as a new emergency consultant by Hanssen this morning, was familiarising himself with his new place of work.
"Well-" Charlie began, only to be quickly interrupted by Connie.
"I don't know what rumours you have heard Charlie, but I have no plans to get a new consultant." Connie reassured him half-heartedly whilst also trying to decipher the messy scrawl that was this patient's notes.
Connie paused when they reached her office to tap in the passcode to unlock the door.
Connie sighed and held the folders against her chest. She had a lot to do today and really needed to get started.
"Change is the last thing this department needs at the moment Charlie, you know that. We've all overcome many hurdles, but we're finally beginning to work well together as a team, just as we are." she gave Charlie a quick smile, before turning away and heading into her office.

Charlie was left standing on the outside of Connie's closed office door and he took a sharp intake of breath as he took another look at the new arrival, who was laughing with a few of the nurses, seeming to already be fitting in well among the other staff.
Charlie scratched his head and frowned.
There clearly was a new consultant, he had been introduced to them only half an hour ago, by Hanssen – how could Connie deny that they weren't getting a new consultant?
Unless of course, this wasn't Connie's doing after all, rather an idea of Hanssen's, one which he had not consulted with Connie about at all.
This could be interesting, he thought.