Chapter 3

"I'm busy" Connie muttered as she heard the door to her office open.
"Charlie I-" but Connie faltered and faked a smile when she looked up and saw it was in fact not Charlie who had entered.
"Ah, Hanssen, what can I do for you?" she asked.
"I trust you've met our new emergency consultant." Hanssen smiled "he's an excellent doctor and I'm sure he will fit in excellently."
Connie pushed her tongue against the inside of her cheek.
"I have indeed met Mr Masters. Although, I wasn't expecting to meet a new consultant today." she smiled through gritted teeth.
Hanssen glanced his eyes fleetingly around the small office.
"Well, it was a spur of the moment decision. When he approached me and told me how much he wanted to work in our emergency department and what a fan he was of the hospital, I couldn't say no. Besides, I thought it would be nice for you to have an extra pair of hands around, I know it can get overwhelming sometimes."
Connie merely nodded and forced a smile.
She really did not appreciate him making decisions about her department, without consulting her about it first.
"Is that everything?" Connie asked, in attempt to encourage his exit from her office.
Hanssen nodded slowly and turned away to leave.
"Oh and I told him it wouldn't be a problem if you showed him around and introduced him to the staff. He'll be meeting you here at half past." Hanssen added quickly before swiftly leaving through the door.
"No problem at all" Connie muttered to herself as the door shut behind him.

---
Connie checked her watch again.
Mr Masters certainly wasn't demonstrating punctuality; Connie was expecting him fifteen minutes ago now.

Connie rolled her eyes and pulled out another set of files. She may as well make the waiting game productive.

Connie's office door swung open and she dropped her pen onto the desk.
"Sorry Connie, I got a held up in resus" Jacob grinned as he entered her office, thirty minutes late.
Connie paused and glanced purposely at her watch before retaliating.
"Mrs Beauchamp." she correctly bluntly.
Without another word, Connie pushed her chair back, stood up from her desk and joined him at the door.

Connie barely glanced in Jacob's direction.
She scanned the department slowly.
"I haven't got long; I have paperwork to finish...and I assume you're already becoming quite familiar with where everything is anyway." she said quietly.
Jacob smiled to himself as he watched Connie focus her gaze on anything but him.
"You can't even look me in the eye, can you?" he chuckled
Connie exhaled slowly.
Jacob intensified his gaze on Connie.
"You pretended that you didn't know me earlier too." he added, a hint of amusement in his voice.
Connie could feel his eyes on her and she fiddled with the stethoscope around her neck, before slowly turning her head towards him.
Jacob crossed his arms, that irritatingly smug smile still plastered on his face.
"You know what, why don't we skip the department tour" he suggested casually "I think I'll figure it out in time, don't worry about it sweetcheeks."
"Mrs Beauchamp." Connie corrected sharply, and crossed her arms too.
Jacob let out a light chuckle and took a step towards her.
Connie's body tensed slightly.
"I bet you never expected me to turn up here Con" he whispered quietly as he leant in towards her ear as he took another step past her.