Chapter 2

"What have we got Charlie?" Connie asked, securing her stethoscope around her neck as she approached him.
Today was supposed to be a non-clinical day to catch up on her mountain of paperwork, but after witnessing the department become increasingly busy, she had decided to head out onto the floor to help.
"Incoming RTC. It's alright though, the new consultant is on it." Charlie smiled.
Connie looked at him in utter disbelief "what new consultant Charlie? I already told you-"
"I tried to tell you earlier, Hanssen introduced him to us all this morning." Charlie interrupted.
"Hanssen?" Connie asked in irritation.
"yeah... you mean you didn't know we were getting a new consultant? I would have thought he'd run it past you..." Charlie said hesitantly.
Connie placed her hands on her hips and shook her head.
"He certainly didn't" she muttered, before striding towards reception in search of this apparent new member of the department.

There he was.
The new boy was hard to miss.
A tall, dark man, muscular build.
He had his back towards her, arms crossed, facing the entrance doors, waiting for the paramedics to wheel in the first casualty.
There was something striking about him, even just from behind.

Connie's stride didn't falter as she glided across the floor towards him.
He turned around upon the echoing sound of heels approaching him.
"Jacob Masters, emergency consultant." the man announced with an outstretched hand and wide smile.
Connie merely gave him a tight smile and glanced away.
"Mrs Beauchamp" she muttered "clinical lead" she emphasised, before turning away and focusing her attention on the incoming casualty being pushed through the doors by the paramedics.

---
Connie stood in the middle of resus, arms crossed, face sullen.
Surrounding her was a resus full of critically ill patients who had arrived following the RTC.
She wasn't needed though, new boy Jacob Masters had everything under control.
Connie rolled her eyes as she watched Mr Masters successfully stabilise one of the patients and then bask in the complements and congratulations of the other staff.

"wow congratulations, you know how to put in a chest drain." Connie muttered sarcastically under her breath as she turned sharply on her heel and walked out of resus.