Chapter 10 ♦ Kissed ♦

Start from the beginning

I crashed onto my bed sprawling out on the bedspread and looked at him almost just begging for him to say something for conversation. It was nowhere this weird when Ava came to live with us that’s for sure. She burst through the door and just started giggling and screaming and hugging everyone. But she’s just a little ball of energy, Kaden was clearly the complete opposite.

He staggered over to his bed and set on the edge staring at his hands.

“So, Kaden. What are some things I need to know about you in order to live with you in peace,” I asked breaking the silence.

He looked up a little squinting one eye, “I… I don’t know, I’m pretty easy to live with.”

“Yeah… well tell me a little about yourself,” but as he went to speak I cut him off. “Other then what you and Echo said at lunch.”

“There… there’s not much else to say, I just… keep to myself and carry on with life,” he stuttered. He clearly had very low confidence issues on top of whatever else was wrong with him.

“You have to hate something… everyone has pet peeves, little things that set them off. And thing’s there hiding,” I laughed biting down on my tongue. Maybe I shouldn’t have threw in that last part but… what the heck.

*Kaden’s POV*

“And thing’s there hiding,” he said laughing.

How did everyone know I was hiding something? Is it that obvious? I wonder how many other people thought I was hiding some big secret.

“I am hiding something,” I choked, “But who isn’t?” I added quickly for cover.

He was hesitant but then finally spoke. “Fair enough,”  He said with a single nod.

“So,” I sighed pulling my legs up on the bed sitting indian style getting more comfortable. “What’s it like here?”

He looked up at me then back at the floor. “Everyone’s pretty chill. Alex is my older brother, he’s… well we’re not really sure what he is… but whatever you do, do not ever go in his room without knocking first, because you really never know with that kid. Actually, just stay as far away from there as possible, and don’t ever wake him up unless you have a death wish.

“Ava is my sister, she’s adopted- but that doesn’t change anything, she’s family and I love her. She’s crazy hyper though, so just… bear with us. She likes hugs, a lot, so watch out for that, she’s with my mom and dad so you’ll get to meet her tomorrow too.”

My eyes were wondering around the room trying to take in all of my new surroundings. The room was very, very open and spacious. My bead spread was dark blue and my bed faced opposite of Tyler’s, the floor was dark stained hardwood and the only window was next to my bed, under it was a darkly stained wood nightstand with a small black lamp on top.

“Oh and Alex’s girlfriend comes over a lot but she’s cool… and other than that I think that’s all you need to be worried about,” But he sounded distant like he was deep in thought.

Wait… what did he mean ‘to be worried about’? I didn’t want to have to worry anymore…

When Tyler’s parents got home the next day I learned very quickly that if I was going to be close to either of them, it would be his mom, Laura. She was nice and his dad, John, just kind of… didn’t talk much. He seemed really distant and cut off from the whole family. I noticed after a few weeks that he wasn’t home much either, and even when he was home, everyone wished he would leave. It didn’t take long at all for me to warm up to Ava; and she loved me the second she walked through the door.