56

STEVE

After the little party, the smiles on our faces won't go away. Tori starts crying as realization hits her as I drive us home. I just sweetly smile at her, gazing at her as she wipes away her tears.

"God, we're having a son, Steve," she whispers, glancing down at the ultrasound papers that we're now allowed to look at. It's definitely a boy, and I couldn't be any happier. I would have been thrilled if they had been a girl, but I just feel something that makes me so ecstatic to be having a boy. I don't know what it is. I do know that I'm more than excited, for that word would be an ultimate understatement.

"James Anthony Rogers," I muse. I let out a low laugh in disbelief. "We're having a son."

Tori's hand finds mine, her thumb tracing circles onto my skin. "I love you so much."

"And I love you, darling," I smile, staring into her glistening brown orbs. "I love you both."

She returns the grin, more tears threatening to spill from her eyes.

We just glance at the each other for the rest of the silent ride home. I politely help her out of the car and open the door to our house as soon as we arrive. It's almost dark, so we're most likely going to lay low for the rest of the day. She retires into our bedroom, and I step into the kitchen. I fill two cups with water, holding an empty one in my left hand as I press the other against the water section of the refrigerator. I stifle a yawn, filling the next cup with ice for myself.

"S-Steve!" my wife shouts from our room, her voice quavering. The worst thoughts pop into my head. Something's wrong. She and our son aren't okay. I drop the glasses on to the floor, and they fall with a clatter as water spills everywhere. I sprint into our room, catching myself on the doorframe from falling. I see my wife, completely drained of color, gripping the edge of the dresser with white knuckles and her other hand cradling her stomach. Something is more than just wrong.

"What's happening?" I ask her, my voice completely unsteady.

She stares blankly at the floor, forcibly taking in sharp breaths. "Come here," she mumbles.

I quickly step over to her, questioning her odd calmness. If something was wrong, she'd tell me immediately.

Tori's hand encloses around mine, swiftly jerking it to her stomach. She presses my left hand flat against it, not taking her eyes off me. I open my mouth to question her, but my jaw hangs agape with not a single word escaping. I feel a small push on my palm, subtle but still there.

My eyes dart up to hers, silently interrogating her. She just stares at me, her brown orbs unusually filled entirely with obliviousness.

"D-Did he just—"

"Yeah," she replies quickly. "He kicked."

I breathe out a laugh, a relieved smile spreading across my face. Tori just continues to gaze up at me, her eyes wide.

"I-I-I've felt small flutters before, b-but I've never felt a full on kick," she claims. "Oh my god, he kicked."

I smile. "Already used to calling him by his gender?"

"Well yeah. Besides, you clearly are too."

"You're not wrong."

Tori is still starstruck. She struggles for breath as her hand gently rests on the same spot my own rested on for some time. I just continue smiling at her, holding her in my arms. I kiss the top of her head, resting my chin on her hair. She sighs and returns the embrace.

"God, I love you, Steve," she mumbles into my shirt.

I laugh. "I love you too, darling. Now let's get to bed."

She nods, slowly climbing underneath the sheets and we both drift off.

•••

"Steve!" Tori groans from our room.

I slowly heave myself into our shared bedroom, barely able to keep my eyes open. We have both been tossing and turning all night, and it's only three in the morning.

"I'm here, honey," I assure her, sitting next to her on our bed and holding her in my arms. "I'm here."

"Steve," she mumbles again. "It hurts."

"I know, baby, I know," I tell her as she snuggles up next to me. I stop for a moment, realizing the new nickname I used. I've been around Tony too often. "What's he doing?" I ask my wife softly, referring to our son.

"Making me hurt," she states. She winces, grabbing a handful of my shirt.

I fight back a scoff. Of course he's hurting her. I hate it, but that's the only reason she's like this. "Is there anything I can do?"

"Stay here," Tori murmurs, pulling me down on to the bed next to her. I give in and bring her close to me. After she exhales a few sharp breaths to calm herself because of the pain, Tori finally relaxes into me and rests. I just clench my jaw and slowly close my eyes, trying to ignore her soft flinches against me as another sharp pain courses through her. I kiss her forehead, taking her trembling hand in mine. She squeezes my hand to fight whatever is happening to her. I ignore everything except her in my arms. I have to comfort her, even though I can't physically do anything to stop it.

I smile. It's all going to be over soon.