50

STEVE

"Spangles, you and Wings over there ready?" Tony asks me through the comms.

I can barely hear him over my screaming thoughts and thumping heartbeat. "Ready when you are, Stark." I glance at Sam who is perched a few stories above me in the building to my right. He gives me a nod, going back to navigate Redwing.

All I've been able to think about is Tori. I ordered for Bucky to stay with her to make sure that she doesn't do anything stupid while I'm gone, but that still doesn't assure me that she's all right. I do trust her, but I don't trust anyone else. Anyone could hurt them, and I'm not risking it. I care about Tori, but that kid is altering every single view that I once had. I wanted to protect her before, but now if anyone touches her, they are dead men walking.

I look down from the balcony, surveying for anyone who seems suspicious. Anderson said the attack was supposed to happen at exactly 2:13pm if everything went according to plan. It's 2:09pm now, so it should happen in four minutes if nothing has interfered with HYDRA yet.

"Hey, Redwing has picked up something," Sam informs everyone through our comms. "Looks like a bomb in the silver van near you, Wanda."

"Can he dismantle the bomb before I stop the van from going any further?" Wanda asks.

"Yeah, just give me a second." A few moments later, Sam announces that the bomb cannot go off.

"All right, the mission is now to get every single HYDRA bastard you can get your hands on," I speak through the comms. "Let your troops know where some are."

I hear Sam bark to the soldiers below that we need to run a couple of blocks. I lead them to the van, where Wanda and Vision are already getting everyone to safety so we can find the agents. Tony and Nat are on their way, judging from the man flying in the sky.

I spot a man sprinting away for dear life, clutching a file to his chest. Definitely HYDRA. I chase after him, taking my shield in my hand. I fling it towards him, sending him to the floor. He groans in agony as I pick the file up to examine its contents. I put my foot on his throat as I do so, and wait for soldiers to take him away. I scan the file quickly. It's the layout of the entire attack: where each squadron is located, where the bomb was going to be placed, the entire game plan all here.

"You have any more?" I ask the agent with not a single ounce of emotion.

He glares up at me. Something cracks inside of his mouth, like one of those pills that replace a tooth. "Hail HYDRA," he snarls. Sure enough, his mouth fills with foam and his eyes roll back.

"Dammit," I mutter. I press my finger on my comm. "Tony, go to the second alleyway on the right of here."

"Copy that, Cap," he says on the other end. I hear him zoom over the rooftops as he heads towards the alleyway that is marked on the map. This all seems too easy, meaning other attacks are going to be harder.

"Cap, mind giving me a hand real quick?" Sam says through grunts, obviously fighting too many people at once.

"I'm coming," I tell him. I speed towards him, hitting three agents with my shield to leave him with two. I get one from behind and he takes the other one. I only have to throw a few punches for the agent to be knocked out on the concrete.

"All right," Sam breathes between pants, "where to now?"

I glance back down at the file. "Another block over," I say, already running towards the location I saw on the map. Sam quickly follows, sprinting beside me.

"So how's Tori?" he smirks at me.

I shoot him a glare. "She's fine."

"So it's confirmed?" he asks.