39

STEVE

"Calm down."

"Sit still, it's all right."

"Dude, it's okay."

God, don't I wish. Between Bucky, Sam, Tony, and Clint, that's all I've heard today. It's my wedding day, I have the right to be freaking out. I'm forced to sit in a chair in my room in the Brooklyn church as I'm dolled up by the guys. Sam makes sure that my hair doesn't stick out of place, Bucky insists on tying my bow tie, Clint keeps stepping out to make sure that everything in the main area is okay, and Tony makes runs between my room and Tori's.

Tori is being tended to by Natasha, Pepper, and Wanda in her own room. She's all I can think about right now. Is she all right? Is she still okay with us getting married? Does she still want to get married to me? The guys keep telling me that it's fine and that I should pull myself together, but I'm having difficulty just keeping still in my chair, which pisses Bucky off, as well as wanting to have a gun with me. He told me no weeks ago, and I'm not even going to try and sneak one in because that man has supernatural senses.

Tony and Clint step into the room at the same time, both of their faces lit up with excitement.

"How is she?" I instantly ask Tony, gripping the arms of the chair.

"Hyperventilating," Tony smiles.

I jump out of my chair, preparing myself to sprint to her room to help.

"Sit in the goddamn chair," Bucky hisses, pushing me back down.

"I'm kidding, Spangles," Tony says. "God, you two are pretty much connected. She asked the same question about you, I gave her the same answer, and she almost ripped her dress heading towards the door."

I scowl at him, petulantly crossing my arms as Bucky continues to tie my black bow tie.

"So, what are thinking about, Cap? It's your last couple of minutes without a ring on your finger, so God only knows what's going through your head," Tony rambles, taking a step towards me.

"About how I'm probably going to die with your hands around my throat," I sarcastically smile at him.

"If you don't take care of my sister you will," he growls. He sighs, leaning against the wall with a smirk. "Death of a bachelor." He shakes his head and fakes a sniffle. "Have fun in the afterlife, brother."

I roll my eyes, glancing at Clint, who stands in the doorway.

"Everything's ready when you two are, Cap," Clint informs me. "And Fury's here."

"Fury?" everyone repeats.

"That's what I said, didn't I?" he asks. "He seems pretty chill though. I've never seen him not at someone's throat before, so I don't know exactly how this is gonna play out."

I stare down at my heavily polished shoes (Bucky's doing), taking deep breaths. I watch Bucky step away from me after he adjusts my bow tie. His eyes are wide open with joy and anticipation as he finally allows me to stand up. I quickly leap to my feet, pulling my black suit jacket closer to me.

"He's ready," Bucky tells Clint. Barton nods and rushes out of the room. "You are ready, right?" Bucky asks me.

I nod. "As ready as I'll ever be."

"Don't be so dramatic. Let's go."

•••

I don't listen to the pastor's words when the ceremony officially starts. I don't scan the crowd for any familiar faces. I just stare at the front of the room, waiting for my bride to step through. Bucky stands a few feet near me, forcing me to be a little calm. I'm not truly paying attention until I see everyone in the pews stand.