Chapter LIV - Ring With Hearts and Flowers

Start from the beginning

I wait for him to continue, but when he remains quiet, I have to ask, "that's good though right?"

"What do you mean that's good, sunshine? We lost her, we're back to square one."

"Not really. You have a lead now. You have that woman and those other two."

"Still, the men are incompetent. They're supposed to be very good trackers and they let her slipped through their fingers like that." Is it bad that I find his heavily accented voice terribly hot?

The other day I overheard him on the phone speaking in French. Right after that, his English was thick with the French accent. I found that incredibly hot. It took everything in me not to jump his bone and I bet he knew it too.

Fuzzy slippers!!! This is not the time to think of his hot accent. Focus Genesis! I can still feel the anger raging inside him.

I comb my fingers through his hair gently, trying to calm him down. He sighs and buries his face in my neck, breathing in deeply. I continue playing with his hair while trying to share my sense of peacefulness with him.

Caspian and Lazarus aren't in much better mood themselves. I wonder if there's something they're not telling Serena and me.

Caspian is clenching and unclenching his jaw while looking out the window absently. That's not normal for Caspian. When he's not out to get me, something is not right. It actually bothers me when he's not bugging me. I think I should get my head checked.

Serena is talking softly to Lazarus, no doubt trying to cheer him up as well.

Constantine seems a lot calmer by the time we arrive in school. However, the weird apprehensive mood seems to follow us like a dense thunderstorm cloud over our heads. Maybe I'm just picking up on the collective feelings of our pack members this morning.

Serena and Lazarus have their arms loosely around each other's waist. Constantine wraps his arm around my shoulders as soon as we step out of the car, while Caspian walks in front of us with his usual arrogant swagger. These three men can really walk as if they owned the place, no matter where they are.

I can feel eyes following us as we walk down the hallways of the school. If I pay attention, I can hear what they're whispering about with my lycan hearing too, but I chose to ignore it.

********

I see Penny in English lit first. Her eyes zero in on the ring before I can say funny bunnies. She squeals and jumps up and down like a crazy woman and the whole class stare at her like she just lost her mind. Good thing the teacher isn't here yet.

Logan and Zeke are also nowhere to be seen. I'm feeling kinda relief about that. I don't feel like facing Logan, even though he's been ignoring me most of the time now.

"You're going to help me with my birthday party right?" asks Penny suddenly. I almost forgot that Penny's birthday is coming soon. She's planning to have a big party next weekend.

"Wouldn't it be great if I found my mate right that night at my own birthday party?" she sighs dreamily.

"Really? What happens if it turns out to be someone you don't like? What if he happens to be one of those man-whores...like Zeke or Caleb or Jordan?"

"Don't you dare kill my buzz, Genesis," she warns me. "Besides, I might or might not have made a list of all the available, eligible, good looking boys that I might or might not have a crush on to be invited to my party," she grins mischievously.