Chapter 1

Subject                                            Grade

Etiquette                                            B-

Applied Magic - Sewing                A

Applied Magic - Embroidery       A

I can't seem to tear my eyes away from the fat B- that is sitting on the top of my report card. Oh well, I guess it's true then the saying that you don't do well in what you don't like. I let out a little sigh, just to shake my head the next moment. No, Rayen, you must look at the bright side of things, I tell myself. You do have As for both magical sewing and embroidery, and that is the most important, right? 

Let's think about who between the royal seamstress or the most popular seamstress in the capital I might work for. I couldn't help but to allow myself a small smile. Working for the royal seamstress would mean that I get to visit the palace as often as I like! Just imagine how close I'll be with all the tapestries and beautiful artwork! 

But even if I don't, Madame Adelina is a good person to work for too! She is the most popular seamstress among the nobles and the rich, and the materials she uses is so extravagant that it can only be rivaled by the royal seamstress. I can't wait to glide my fingertips over the finest silks! Hmm. But both of them are known for being picky in their selection of apprentices. I know that I am good at sewing and embroidery, but would they really look past my less-than-perfect etiquette score?

Slightly worried, I flip my report card to the other side.

Career                       Employer

Seamstress            The King's Army

Yes! Seamstress! I exclaimed. But in my mind only of course. Now that I'm going to work for the most highly-esteemed seamstress in Amaranthine, I need to be mindful of my manners at all times. But wait. Why does it say 'Army'? What Army? I squint at the report card, looking at it more carefully. Then a sense of dread hits me.

Just then, there is a light tap on my shoulders. I turn to see Caroline, cheeks flushed and arms waving wildly. "Rayen, you are going to work under the royal dressmaker like me right? Then we're going to work together again! I'm so scared I'm going to have to work alone in the palace. I don't know anyone!"

It takes a few seconds before what she says sinks in, and I can't believe my ears. This doesn't ... make sense. I am top of the year for both magical sewing and embroidery. So this means that the only basis on which to not accept me is my etiquette score. But ... shouldn't they choose apprentices based on - I don't know - actually related skills? I am still in a state of confusion when I notice Caroline is looking at me expectantly, waiting for a response.

"Umm. No, I won't be working in the palace."

"Why? Ah! so you're working in town? Designing and making clothes for nobles? How great! You can be as creative as you like! No restraints. Unlike me. I have to deal with those snobbish royalty." Caroline leans in and whispers to me. But right now, I don't think I'm capable of continuing this conversation...

"No..." I reply in as soft a voice as possible, half hoping that Caroline won't catch it. But she does.

"Pardon?"

This is getting more and more awkward for me. I can feel the heat rising on my face as I say, "No. I'm not working in town too. I'll be working in the military. Please excuse me, I have to go find my family." I rush off without waiting for her reply. 

-------------------

Hours fly by when you are flying yourself, lost in depressed thoughts. The sun is already setting when I finally decide to go home. But wherever I go, the branches on the trees will start to sway, as if the trees themselves are shaking their heads in disapproval. And the leaves. They rustle and whisper to each other what a disappointment I am. I can't even try to defend myself because well, I actually agree. I almost want to be at home already.