I waft in the smell of Jennifer's perfume as I pick up the pace. A ghost of a smile plays at my lips as I hear her footsteps. Their even rhythm soothes me.

She is near.

I feel the earth suddenly shift beneath my feet. I look ahead to see Jennifer has stopped. Knowing that this is my last chance to catch up, I run. I ignore the throbbing pain in my feet and sprint. I run to her.

I've followed her to a boat that only has one seat. Jennifer gets in and turns to face me. Her brown eyes pierce my soul and send shivers down my spine.

“Jen,” I breathe out, my chest heaving, “Jennifer, where are you going?” Jennifer bends down in the boat so we are eye level. She doesn’t say anything. 

“Jennifer, don’t leave me. I can’t live without you! I need you, please, I’ll change!” I’m begging now. My chest tightens as she remains silent. I fall to my knees, trembling as I cry. Jennifer swallows and takes a breath.

“I’m not her.” She says in a low voice. I look up, my heart breaking as the seconds pass by. She tilts her head to the side and reaches out her hands. I feel a smile etch itself across my dry, blood-caked lips. This is it: she’s finally reaching out to me.

Wrong.

In one swift move, Jennifer reaches in and grabs my heart, violently ripping it out of my chest. I scream in agony as I fall to my stomach. It feels as though I’ve lost everything, when really I’ve lost nothing at all. I slowly look up at Jennifer, still holding my heart. 

“See this?” She spits bitterly, holding my heart out. It’s black and scarred. The cuts run deep, and each gash oozes a crimson-black liquid. It drips all around her fingers, and makes no sound as it falls to the dusty floor. There are tears in her eyes as she holds my cold, dark heart.

“It’s not a real heart.” She whispers, her voice firm and icy, “I never would’ve taken this, as it was never mine to hold. I cannot fathom the weight of the burden you have laid upon me. I have nothing to give you. I never loved you.” She finishes dryly, shaking her head in disgust. I feel the tears drip from my dusty face, one by one. I put a hand over the empty spot in my chest and realize that she’s right.

I am nothing. I have nothing. I will never have anything.

Jennifer’s face contorts into a smirk as she digs her fingers into my heart. I shriek in torment as pain rips through my weakened body. It buries itself in every nook and cranny. There is not one place in my body where there is no pain. My vision is suddenly impaired. All I can see clearly is Jennifer, as she bears her fingers harder into my heart. Everything is swirling around me, and I feel dizzy and numb. The pain is scalding now. It ignites my bones and sets fire to my flesh. I’m being torn apart.

She’s killing me.

Having had enough, she drops my heart onto the ground. She laughs at me in a sick, mocking tone. Her fingers are wet and stained with the blood of my heart. She turns her back on me. It goes quiet.

“I love you, Jennifer.” I gasp, breaking the silence, as the pain ebbs off slowly. Jennifer stops in her place and cocks her head back to me. Her lips purse, and her eyes change. They’re not as intense, instead, soft and tender. She drops her head, as a single tear dribbles down her pale skin.

"Why?" She asks hoarsely, her voice small and shrill. I take a long, deep breath.

"Because, Jennifer, I believe that you can help me. They tried - my friends tried, Jen. They couldn't fix me, and neither can I. I'm not strong enough to fix myself. I need someone. I need you. I care about you so much Jennifer. I care about you more than myself. I never would've followed here if I didn't. Please, give me a chance. I'll show that I can be a good friend. I'll stick by you, I promise. Please." I beg, wheezing. My fingers scrap the earth floor, and the dirt buries itself in my nailbeds. I can taste the dry, bitter taste of blood against my teeth. I feel my body inflame and my wounds burn. I look up at Jennifer, who has her eyes closed and her face cupped in her beautiful, soft hands.