0

I used to be afraid of the dark, of the dark, of the dark, of the dark.

They mourn together, all clothed in black.

She sits alone in the front row, hands clasped, legs crossed, seemingly distracted from the world. Her weeping mother stands at the casket, surrounded by comforting friends and family.

Tension lingers in the air of the funeral home.

"Oh, Eva." A lady to the side whispers. "Poor, poor Eva." The woman shakes her head in disdain and begins making her way towards the crowd. "She was so in love with Samuel."

The statement causes her to snap back into reality. She stands, brushing away the strands of raven hair that have escaped her tightly woven bun and takes a few steps towards the back of the room. As she nears the entrance, she turns back to face her mother.

A hidden smirk and encouraging nod is all she needs to convince her to leave.

After she makes her departure, she strolls along the sidewalk, being careful of approaching cars. Her dull shady eyes avoid making contact with the people walking around her, but their accusing glares pierce through her.

She chooses to ignore their looks with a wave of her hand and instead continues walking.

The forming goosebumps on her arms tease her as she wanders aimlessly around town. The wind catches the length of her black gown and forces it to flow gracefully behind her.

Night quickly falls, and as she fades into the darkness, she approaches her brightly colored home. She doesn't bother knocking, just opens the door with a swing of her arm.

Bottles of alcohol, old and new, messily scatter around her home. She trudges through filth and tissues as she struggles to find her way to the staircase leading to her room.

"We leave tomorrow." Her mother's slurred voice sighs and catches her attention. Eva's body stumbles over to her daughter in a lost trance. She reaches up to cup her daughter's face and places a betraying kiss on her cheek.

"Lilith."