Chapter 1~ Eric

Eric's POV

~~~~~~~~~

When the driver pulls up to the glass building above the Dauntless compound, I'm waiting for Tris by the door. I take her arm and lead her into the building without thanking the driver. I squeeze my fingers so hard so she can feel my anger. I stand between her and the door that leads inside. I start to crack my knuckles. Other than that, I try to be completely still. The faint pop of my knuckle-cracking is all we hear apart from her deep nervous breaths, which grow faster by the second. When I am finished, I lace my fingers together in front of me.

"Welcome back, Tris." I say.

"Eric."

I walk toward her, carefully placing one foot in front of the other.

"What..." My first word is quiet. "Exactly," I add, louder this time, "were you thinking?"

"I..." She starts. I can tell she's struggling for words. "I don't know."

"I am tempted to call you a traitor, Tris," I say. "Have you never heard the phrase 'faction before blood'?"

I'm quiet. I can tell it scares her. Perfectly controlled, perfectly poised. Careful and quiet. "Were you unsatisfied with the life you have found here? Do you perhaps regret your choice?"

My eyebrows lift with the question. "I would like to hear an explanation for why you betrayed Dauntless, yourself, and me..." I tap my chest. "...by venturing into another faction's headquarters."

She breaths in deep. Shes nervous about something. My hands curl into fists.

"If you cannot explain," I say softly, "I may be forced to reconsider your rank. Or, because you seem to be so attached to your previous faction...perhaps I will be forced to reconsider your friends' ranks. Perhaps the little Abnegation girl inside of you would take that more seriously."

She considers this, and after a second she stiffens. She tries again. "I..." She struggles to breathe. And then the door opens. Four walks in.

"What are you doing?" he asks me.

"Leave the room," I order, slightly louder and with more movement. Everything was fine before he showed up.

"No," Four says. "She's just a foolish girl. There's no need to drag her here and interrogate her."

"Just a foolish girl." I snort annoyed. "If she were just a foolish girl, she wouldn't be ranked first, now would she?" She's more than a foolish girl. I know.

Four pinches the bridge of his nose before Tris speaks up. "I...I was just embarrassed and didn't know what to do." She puts her hands in her pockets and looks at the ground innocently. And she tears up slightly as she sniffles, "I tried to...and..." She shakes her head.

"You tried to what?" I ask curiously.

"Kiss me," Four speaks up. "And I rejected her, and she went running off like a five year-old. There's really nothing to blame her for but stupidity." I consider this and look from Tris to Four and laugh, too loudly and for too long.

"Isn't he a little too old for you, Tris?" I laugh, smiling again.

"Can I go now?" She wipes a fake tear.

"Fine," I say, "but you are not allowed to leave the compound without supervision again, you hear me?" I turn toward Four. "And you... had better make sure none of the transfers leave this compound again. And that none of the others try to kiss you."

I laugh and Four rolls his eyes. "Fine."

Tris leaves the room and before Four leaves I grab his shirt. "Don't let it happen." I warn, the light leaving my eyes. I can hear the coldness in my voice.

I lift my hand from his shoulder and he leaves. Later I'll have to talk to Tris. I know if I don't I'll lose my chance. I didn't start liking Tris after I realized Four liked her, but it's all the more reason to like her now. I walk out of the clearing, the opposite direction Four and Tris left.

Then I hear a faint muttering, as Tris says, "You can either be a cruel instructor or a concerned boyfriend."

Good, they're fighting. I don't wait to hear Four's response, and I softly walked away from the conversation. I'll have some fun later.