Chapter 13- Conversation

Tris~

I follow Four out the door and into a hallway. He leans his head back against the wall and takes a deep breath. His eyes remain closed for a few minutes, and I shift awkwardly from one foot to the other.

Finally, he lifts his head from the wall and opens his eyes. The deep blue has a beautiful and calming effect on me. I shiver, suddenly I feel like my skin is on fire. Why?

His gaze is on me, and he calmly says, "Be careful."

My throat sounds raw as I stutter, "What?"

"Just...." He struggles with himself for a few moments, but decides it's best to clarify his meaning. "Don't let Eric hurt you."

I stand there, practically mortified. Is it that obvious? My feelings toward Eric.... Does he know? The awkward silence is thick enough to slice cheese, and it remains in the air until Four clears his throat.

"Get some sleep. We have more training to do tomorrow." He orders.

I stare after him as he walks away.

"Why does everyone keep telling me that?" I say after him.

He stops.

"Is it because you don't think I can handle it? Because I'm a girl? I don't understand." I say, agitation bubbling up in my stomach.

He turns around, and looks me straight in the eyes. "You think my first instinct is to help you. Because you a girl, or because your small. But my first instinct is to push you until you break, just to see how far you can go. That's just the type of person I am."

He keeps his eyes level with mine, but it lasts only seconds. He turns and leaves, as quickly as he came. Leaving me confused and wanting more, all at the same time.