Chapter Thirty-One: The Calm Before The Storm

Start from the beginning

"You're bleeding." I said again as I looked at him with a frown.

"No shit, Sherlock." Max was well enough to roll his eyes and throw sarcasm at me.

"Well if you know then how about making this easier for me and apply pressure to your wound before you go unconscious from a lack of blood."

"Oh, please. this is nothing. I've had to endure worse before. Besides, I won't faint from this little blood loss." Max said looking sure of himself. I mean, sure, he still had enough energy to argue with me so I supposed that was a good sign. Still, I couldn't help but worry about the way he said it.

I looked down and I wasn't making much progress on taking apart my sweater. It was a lot more difficult to do when my head was all over the place. It didn't help that we were on a stupid boat and the waves made the whole place rock back and forth. I wasn't even sure if we were moving or docked. I guess it would be better to say I couldn't figure it out. I had hit my head earlier but I tried not to make a big deal out of it. Head pain was nothing when Max had purple bruises around his eyes and a broken, possibly dislocated arm.

Max had started another fight with the guys who were basically dragging us on to the boat. Well, to be fair, they were saying some pretty obscene jokes about his private life. As expected, as soon as they started to poke fun at Nico, that's when Max went crazy and started moving around to get free. He managed to get himself free from the man holding him and they broke out into a fist fight which Max nearly managed to throw the man off the dock. The one that was holding me was reaching for his gun so I had to get involved or stand by and watch Max get shot. I did what I had to do and I threw my body into his and he grabbed my shirt pulling me down with him. We both scrambled on the floor as I tried to keep him down. As we were struggling on the wooden dock, I got my head smashed into the floor boards. My guy looked around my age, thin guy with brown hair. I wasn't used to fighting but it seemed like the guy I was up against wasn't either. Although skinnier than me he obviously knew how to throw better punches. I had it pretty easy though where as Max was punching it out with a early to mid forty's man, and he was fairing pretty well.

Everything was put to a stop as Elisha strolled into the dock with a women, who was not Sera, behind him. He had instructed her to shoot a warning bullet into the air which got all our attention. The women walked over and placed the gun at Max's temple and commanded him to get up. With a gun really close to Max, I was obligated to behave and listen to directions. Elisha looked amused as he moved us into the lowest floor and 'taught' Max a lesson on behaving. The women stayed inside and kept her gun pointed at me. Again, there was nothing much I could do beside watch Max get beat up in front of me.

"Quit spacing out." Max told me and lightly touched my head. I winced and he noticed, "You smacked your head back there, didn't you? You should have just stayed still like a good boy."

"I could say the same to you." I told him as I smiled down at the progress I was making with the sweater. "You always seem to lose your self control whenever someone speaks bad about Nico. Why is that? I get that he's your boss or whatever but to go to that extent just because he was bad mouthed?"

Max didn't say anything at first. He didn't look like he was in any hurry to tell me. Either that or he was starting to lose consciousness. I started to get worried and then felt relieved when he did speak, "Nico took care of me when my own blood related family wouldn't. He gave me a place where I could belong and call home."

"Nico did?" I asks looking up from the sweater to look at Max. I was jut a little surprised that that was the case. I felt. Little guilty for previously thinking that Nico was pimping Max out. "Uhm, so, can I ask about your... Side... Ehm- you know when you out out and... ah-"