Chapter 2

There's an awkward silence splitting through the warming air of sunrise. I just stare blankly at Coach who seems confused as if he said something wrong or hurtful. To be honest, I don't know where to start. I've been given too much information already even though I still don't get the real point of why I'm here. I flash back to the incident of last night in the ally way. It almost seems like a dream. The faces of the boy and the girl are only in a frosty blur now, but I can still feel the heat of the flames that were scorching out of the boy's hands. How did he do it? Did it hurt? Where is he now? Is he saving some other random stranger from tusked monsters? And what about the girl? Where is she? How did she make that force-field? Did it hurt for her? I she still with the boy?

I suddenly notice that mum is calling my name several times. I zoom into reality wondering why on earth she is calling my name. I flutter open my eyes suddenly confused of why they where closed. My head spins to the direction of where my mother is, except this isn't my mother and that's not my mother's voice.

"Layla! Layla... you're awake! Thank goodness! It's been 30 hours since you blacked out, hey, are you okay?" I'm lost for words and the blood has pumped out of my skin as I'm so petrified even though I don't even know why since she saved my life! The girl brushes her silky white hair behind her ear. Her hand reaches over to me to brush a strand of hair from my face. I smack her hand away and jerk forward and jump to a stand, then I realize I'm on a bed with only a light blue, thin nightgown on that might just blow away in a gentle breeze.

I grab the nearest thing and point it towards her with both hands. I look down to the object, only realizing that it's one of those cheap white plastic knives. Oh, well, I might as well get on with the act.

The girl huddles to the edge of her seat lifting both hands up in surrender.

"Where am I and who the hell are you?!" I shout in her face spluttering unwanted spit all over her eyes, which must make me seem so attractive, not to mention the almost see-through nightgown flashing before her eyes.

"I- uh- you- ah- um-", she splutters, completely shocked.

"Answer ME!" I yell, shifting the knife closer to her throat. It's not like I'm actually going to slice her throat, I mean, these knives can't even slice through a single chip without shattering into pieces.

I catch a glimpse in her eye as just for a fracture of a second she looks behind me. I turn around and see the whole ward starring at me with mouths gaped open. I smile back at them, and then turn to face my victim.

".. Help...", is all she manages to say in a single strangled whisper. I take this as my cue to run. I race through the ward while everyone's awestruck gaze follows me out through the door. The sunlight blinds me on the spot. Once the spots have sort of cleared, just enough for me to see where I'm going, I race through the square. Some people stop and stare, and even point, others are too busy to even notice me and storm away.

I take the nearest path there is and follow it. I end up leading towards a canoeing lake, which is blossomed with green, lush grass and picnic tables. I keep running past all the rowers and other students who were having a nice peaceful meal, until my muddy feet decided to trample all over their sandwiches. I hear their insults brush past as I keep on running.

After about ten or fifteen minutes I finally reach a lonely cave with a log in it. I sit down on the log and catch my breath. My heart feels like a rock now because of all that running. I put my head down beneath my knees and try to calm down. What was I thinking! Everyone probably thinks I'm a messed up killer on the lose. I raise my head up and stare down at what seems like a fairytale kingdom. This place has got everything and is absolutely stunningly beautiful. I listen to the splashes of waves, laughter, birds singing lullabies, chatter, the wind whistling, hushes of wildlife. It's just incredible!