CHAPTER SIX

As Lhathron ventured deeper into the forest, its ancient trees seemed to converge, creating an enclosed haven. The earthy fragrance of damp soil mingled with the intoxicating aroma of pine and delicate flowers, infusing the air with a cool, invigorating essence. Lhathron moved with unparalleled swiftness, his agile form almost a blur as he chased the ethereal traces of magic that danced through the evergreen foliage. Guided by his heightened senses, Lhathron followed the tantalizing scent of the intruder, leading him closer to the tranquil border of the glistening lake.

Word of the intrusion had already reached the king, who had summoned the venerable elders to await Lhathron's return. Their wise counsel was sought, for the kingdom's fate hung in the balance.

The cluster of elf elders huddled close, their ancient wisdom attuned to the subtle shifts of energy that reverberated through the magical barrier when it was breached.

An air of anticipation hung heavy, as they anxiously awaited the arrival of their king and his father. The scent of dark magic permeated the surroundings, swirling ominously around the tranquil lake. Yet, despite the palpable presence of malevolent forces, there was an absence of the melodic birdsong that typically graced the area, an eerie silence that confirmed the taint of dark magic. Lhathron, with his keen senses, tasted the very essence of Thelinora in the air.

Whatever had intruded upon their sacred land did not emit the familiar aura of evil. This realization sparked a glimmer of hope within the elf's heart, beckoning him to delve deeper into the mystery that unfolded before them.

With determination etched onto his features, Lhathron armed himself and prepared to venture beyond the protective walls of his city. The weight of his longsword, adorned with intricate runes, pressed against his back as he surveyed the still waters before him. His flowing silver hair danced in harmony with the gentle breeze, echoing the anticipation that coursed through his veins. Placing his palm upon the earth, Lhathron allowed his connection with the land to guide him. A surge of energy pulsed beneath his touch, leading him on a trail of unknown magic. Step by step, he followed the invisible thread, his senses sharpened to detect any subtleties along the way. The path led him to the docks, where the aura of the unknown entity grew stronger.

The other elves of the forest, connected to their king through their shared bond, could sense his presence amidst them. Excitement and concern mingled in the air as they awaited Lhathron's discoveries and the resolution to the mysteries that had befallen their realm.

As Lhathron surveyed the gathering of forest elves, his sliver eyes shimmered with a mixture of concern and determination. The elder, recognizing the gravity of the situation, stepped forward with respect and placed his right hand over his heart, bowing his head in deference to his king. "My king, peace be with you," the elder spoke with a somber tone. "I...I have felt the presence of dark magic within our beloved forest. Yet, when I arrived at the source, there was no one in sight." Lhathron's gaze bore into the elder, his senses heightened as he assessed the truth in the elder's words. The weight of responsibility settled upon his shoulders, and he knew that it was his duty to uncover the source of this dark magic and protect his kingdom.

"Peace be with you as well, elder." Lhathron responded, his voice commanding yet filled with compassion. "Please guide our fellow elves back to their homes. The kingdom will launch an investigation into this matter, and I shall not rest until the source of this darkness is revealed." The elder bowed once more, his expression reflecting both relief and faith in his king.

With a silent nod, he turned to address the gathered elves, instructing them to return to their homes and await further guidance. As the elves dispersed, Lhathron's focus sharpened, and he set forth on his quest to unravel the mysteries lurking within the walls of his city and protect his realm from the encroaching darkness.

~One hour prior. ~

Lhathron burst into the grand Valrion chambers, only to be greeted by a shocking scene. His joining mate, Sairion, was hunched over a table, engaged in an inappropriate act with one of his servant boys.

"Good heavens, Sairion! Have you no sense of decency? Must I always be the one to stumble upon these disgraceful displays in your presence?"

Lhathron exclaimed, his voice filled with a mix of disappointment and disgust. The servant boy, taken aback by the sudden intrusion of his king, trembled in fear. He hastily retreated from Prince Sairion, his face etched with terror.

He contemplated dropping to his knees, begging for forgiveness, but his pants were still down, leaving him in an awkward predicament. He was uncertain whether the king would punish him for daring to touch what belonged to him, or for not immediately prostrating himself in submission.

Initially, the boy had resisted Prince Sairion's advances when he approached him while he was diligently cleaning the swords. However, the prince used his magical abilities to seduce him, placing a touch on his shoulders that ignited an irresistible desire within him. Before long, they found themselves in Prince Sairion's quarters, and any remaining resistance the boy had crumbled away. Now, filled with regret, he would berate himself for succumbing to temptation.

The boy's humiliation and misfortune weighed heavily on him, for he knew that his actions would bring shame to his father, the renowned blacksmith of Thelinora. In the kingdom, it was no secret that the king indulged in various lovers, particularly when he was away from the castle. However, there were unspoken rules among these lovers - they were never to show affection to anyone else.

The boy had overheard the castle maids whispering about the nightly visits from men of noble houses, all seeking to capture the attention of the powerful elf king. These gossips only added to his sense of shame and regret, as he realized he had broken those unspoken rules and tarnished his father's name.

It was a completely distinct experience from getting caught in the act.

"Leave us, young man."