9. Hunting the Moon (Hunting the Moon #1)

Book – Hunting the Moon #1

Author – Becca Boucher

Star rating – ★★★★☆

Plot – well paced, intriguing

Characters – nicely developed, relatable

Movie Potential – ★★★★☆

Ease of reading – very easy to read

Cover – ✔ – Captivating

Suitable Title – ✔

Would I read it again – Yes

First of all, I’ve changed my criteria for reviews. You’ll see that I’ve included Cover and Suitable Title as a rating, this is because I’ve recently read books that fail on both counts to relate to the story. This book, however, is an all round package.

The Prologue was excellent. It gave us enough of the future story without giving away too much, while setting the scene for what was to come and what we were going to be dealing with. It was captivating and intriguing and made me want to keep reading.

I liked most, if not all, of the characters. First off, let’s deal with the ‘bad guys’ of the story. To me, they weren’t all that bad. Matty and Aaron were misguided, possessive and manipulated creatures who took this anger out on the world. End of. They are not the typical ‘I hate you’ bad guys.

Then there’s Kat. To me, she is nothing but a bad egg. I don’t like her, I never liked her and I doubt I’m going to feel sympathy for her, not matter what I find out about her later. She’s one of those characters that I couldn’t connect with and I don’t expect that will change. I do, however, think she is a missed opportunity. She’s got depth of evil in her that is sort of left unanswered by the end of the book.

Then we come to the MC’s. Daemon and Lilly, and the wonderful sidekick Kevin. I hope we see much more of these three in Book 2, or at least further on in the series. I loved Kevin, he was the master-mind human of the book, who reacted as any other normal human would. Daemon and Lilly were believable and relatable, both with their own demons and torments.

The story is well developed and explored. It’s not too rushed, with too much information thrown at us at once, but it’s not slow either. We are continually fed little drips of information as the story goes on. There’s a nice lead into the paranormal and romance aspects of the story, as well as the psychological parts that make it slightly hair-raising. A lot happens without giving too much away…

Which is how I’m going to leave it. This is the type of story where I can’t say much about what goes on inside it, other than to say Read It. I only have one downside to this, making it a 4 instead of a 5 star. It’s that some words and sentences are repeated. I’ve counted one entire sentence repeat near the end of the story and a few instances of repeated or misplaced words, which slightly interrupt the flow of the read. However, other than that, I have no issue with the plot or the characters that warrants a negative comment. This is a great book, with huge potential to be a great series.