Undone: [Thirteen] [Part One]

Start from the beginning

And that’s what got me on the emotional overdose. I suppose I could thank her for having made a better friend in Rodney, but when you’re trying to forget about something, you really can’t get yourself to love the person who reminded you of it in the first place.

I sighed and sauntered off towards class, briefly thinking about how I shared that class with both Nick and Lani.

*

“Max!”

I froze. It couldn’t be-no, don’t be ridiculous. John isn’t here. I inhaled sharply and turned around to see who had called, and felt myself relax slightly when I saw who it was.

Nick. Of course. Just because you’ve been thinking of him won’t make him appear in front of you.

So my attempts at trying to forget hadn’t been going too well, and the further I’d progressed towards making it to class, the worse I’d started to feel.

Why couldn’t I just forget about John?

“Hey.” I forced a smile.

It took me another moment to become aware of the fact that Lani wasn’t there. The question on my face was apparent, because Nick’s next words informed me that he’d told her to go on, that he wanted to talk to me.

I frowned. “Is all okay?”

“Yeah, it is. Just I haven’t talked to you for a while, so wanted to catch up.”

“Oh. Okay.” I think I smiled briefly. I wasn’t feeling particularly fond of Lani that instant, so getting Nick on his own was nice. And a pleasant change.

“So, how’ve you been?”

I raised an eyebrow. “You do realize we’ve been seeing each other daily, right? I’m fine, great.” And then I decided to try and be funny. “How about yourself?”

A smile cracked on his face, and moments later, we were laughing. There isn’t much to add, except that it felt great.

“No, but really,” he asked again. “How’ve things been? Did you have fun last night?”

Oh.

It didn’t seem likely that Nick was questioning why I’d been with them, but…the gentle squeeze on my hand made me feel better though.

“Well, good.”

“And the guy?”

“Nick!”

“What? I’m just asking!”

“He’s a great guy,” I felt my face heat up, “but I’m not really looking to date someone, you know?”

He was skeptical. “Uh-huh. What’s his name?”

“What’s who’s name?”

Startled, both Nick and I stopped midstep to see who’d spoken.

Lani.

It made me feel a guilty rush of pleasure to see Nick frown a little. Even though we hadn’t really conversed much, it was helping me forget that-thing-that-I-refuse-to-name. Lani, on the other hand, was not.

“Oh, hey. Where’d you come from?”

“My other class.”

“Right. But I’d told you to go on, not wait for me-us.” Nick still seemed slightly perturbed.

“Yeah, I know. But I decided to wait anyway.” She smiled at him before turning to me. “Max, hi!”

I swallowed involuntarily. “Hey.”

“Anyway, what were you guys talking about?” She’d taken her place in between the two of us and started to lead the way.

“Nothing, just, stuff.”

“Come on, you can tell me. What’s who’s name? What guy were you talking about?”

I’d hoped she’d forgotten, and from the way Nick winced ever so subtly, I could tell he’d hoped for the same thing.

I did my best to deflect. “Nobody, nobody important.”

And then.

I felt it.

The slight feeling that would probably have me throw up again.

My phone buzzed.

*

Breathe in, breathe out.

I stumbled blindly towards the washroom, not seeing anything. All my thoughts were focused on my abdomen, where I’d felt the vibration of the phone through my hoodie. It had vibrated, I was positive, and I was just as certain about who had sent the message. It still tingled, a bit, where it had made contact, and suddenly I couldn’t think straight.

What does he want now?

In retrospect, I could go all, ‘so much for moving on,’ but at that moment, all that I could feel, think and taste was panic. Adrenaline coursing through my veins, igniting my blood and setting my heart into overdrive.

I hastily excused myself from Lani and Nick and rushed towards the closest washroom.

You didn’t seem to be enjoying the interrogation. Anything I can do to help? Xx J

My eyes widened.

If my heart had been pounding loudly at first, I was on the verge of a heart attack then.

I couldn’t breathe.

Panic.

How had he known?

Had he somehow escaped? Was he stalking me?

Oh, God.

I looked up into the mirror.

Wide, terrified eyes.

A rivulet of sweat.

Pale, pale skin.

Get a grip. I shook my head and set my phone aside, reaching forward to press down on the tap to release a stream of water. The water felt cool on my superheated skin, and I felt myself calm some. I was positive that I was the only one who could hear my heartbeat now, and with the sweat gone I felt a bit, I don’t know, normal.

But then I felt a hand on my shoulder.

And the mirror revealed an all too familiar pair of dark eyes staring right at me.

*

I screamed.