2. Coin's plan

Coin and Heavensbee stay in front of Coin’s office unseen Finnick can hear them whisper.

“Did the guard find those berries?” asks Coin.

Heavensbee nods “Yes, there are two bushes near the fence. Are you sure it’s the best choice to get them out of the way?”

“After Peeta didn’t kill her – it’s the only way to get rid of them. They are too dangerous for my future. I will be the next President!”

“Ok, three days until we send them our delicious Nightlock-Muffins” sneers Heavensbee.

“Be sure we get them all. Katniss, Peeta, Haymitch, Finnick and his crazy Annie. The last days of the rebellion we’ll send Joanna and Gale in front of the cameras and at least Gale will kill Snow for me.”

Minutes later Finnick runs into Haymitch.

“Haymitch, good I meet you. We have to talk, I heard something very important.”

“Is it already out that Peeta escaped?” Haymitch growls out.

“What? No!” Finnick replies.

“Come on, let’s leave this place.” Haymitch pulls Finnick with him. “Don’t tell anyone about Peeta. Go straight to Katniss’ room and wait there for me. I come in a few minutes. Then you can tell what you heard.”

Finnick totally confused arrives at Katniss’ room. When she opens the door, he stumbles “Haymitch told me Peeta is gone. Do you know? Are you safe here?”

Katniss opens the door a little more so Finnick can see Peeta lying on the bed. Without any words she pulls Finnick into the room and shuts the door.

“Yes, I’m safe here” she says and walks over to Peeta to sit beside him hands clutch with his.

Finnick wrings his hands “I heard a secret conversation between Coin and Heavensbee about our near future. I have to tell you!”

“What is it?” Peeta asks.

“Let’s wait for Haymitch. He must be here in a minute” Finnick answers.

Short time later it knocks at the door. Finnick glad to take his eyes off the kissing couple goes open the door.

Haymitch rushes into the room “We don’t have much time to speak. I have to go see Heavensbee. They found out about Peeta’s escape.”

“There’s no need to see Heavensbee. We have a bigger problem. I heard him talking to Coin. They want to kill us! We have to leave Thirteen right now!” Finnick explains.

“What? Why? How?” Katniss gasps.

“Coin knows that wie don’t like her and we won’t vote for her to be President after the rebellion. To be President is her desire. They plan to send us special Nightlock-Muffins on Friday!”

“Who is ‘us’? Of course they spoke about Katniss and me, but who else?” Peeta asks, holding a shaking Katniss in his arms.

“You’re right. Your two, Haymitch, Annie and I” Finnick answers.

“What about the others Joanna, Beete, Gale?” Katniss looks at Finnick.

“Coin needs them for propos and especially Gale for killing Snow.”

“Stop!” Haymitch interrupts. “We don’t have time to discuss all now. I’ve suspected that it would happen someday, that’s why I already have a plan! Give me one hour to clear some things. I’ll tell you later what to do.” He rushes out of the room.

Finnick leaves too, to find Annie.

Now Katniss and Peeta are alone again.

Silent tears fall from Katniss cheeks “I’m glad we found you today. I don’t know what I’ve done to Coin after this information without you” she sniffles.

A sharp breath lets her look at Peeta. He sits beside her, his whole body shakes and he looks with stare eyes at his fists.

“You better go. I’m not sure I can fight the mud back” Peeta presses out.

“No, I’m not gonna leave you. Please stay with me!” Katniss takes his head in her hands and kisses him.

As Peeta relaxes a little bit she takes him into her arms and asks “How are you” What can I do to get you back?”

“Just hold me tight” murmurs Peeta while he still fights against the mud feelings.

Katniss crouches closer to Peeta and hold him in her arms. In this position both fall asleep.