The Snowflake Outlining Method

Disclaimer: I've literally only used this method twice

Disclaimer: I've literally only used this method twice. It takes up a lot of time and requires a ton of effort. It definitely helps, but I mean...ugh. lmao

So if you're willing to spend hours planning out a story, keep reading. if not, nevermind. lmao.

If you're anything like me, you hate outlining. It's such a pain in the ass, it doesn't help, and you don't even use the outlines. Half the time, they completely drain your motivation to write. They're a complete and total waste of time, so you'd rather wing it.

But, if you're also like me, you kinda like outlines because you appreciate the structure. You like having some sort of guidelines to make writing a little bit easier. You just wish there was a way to outline that doesn't suck.

If you've never made an outline, that's cool. Whatever you do, don't listen to your teachers. I've got something better than what they'll teach you.

It's called the Snowflake Method and it was developed by Randy Ingermanson. Now, since we're basically talking about writing fanfiction here on Wattpad, I made a few slight alterations because he writes novels and we write fanfiction or freelance fiction. See the difference?

It's easy, but it takes time. If you're impatient, get over yourself because the Snowflake is supposed to cut down the time it takes to write a story than if you were to wing it.  Outlines are what prevent those unwanted "on hold" labels.

Here I have simplified the slightly modified Snowflake Method.  You can do this either before you make your first draft or after.  It would probably be a good idea to do it before you start writing.  Personally, I kinda prefer doing it after writing a really shitty first draft.  Do whatever suits you.

Snowflake Outlining Method

1.      Spend 20-30 minutes to write a one-sentence summary of your story. Example: "A rogue physicist travels back in time to kill the apostle Paul." It's the big picture, the analog of the starting triangle
Tips:
          Shorter is better. Shoot for fewer than 15 words.
          Don't include names. A handicapped trapeze artist > "Jane Doe"
          Tie together the big and the personal picture. Ask which character has the most to lose, and then tell what he or she wants to gain.