I followed the familiar scent deeper and deeper until I came to the border between our territory and Blood Rain's. Yes, if you have to ask, we do mark our territory with urine. It was the best way to warn others away without attracting the attention of the humans. They assumed it was just a regular animal marking its spot, not a pack of werewolves.

I stopped at the scent border, careful not to step into their territory. One false step and it could mean war and that was the last thing we needed with pups around. Especially now that it was spring and even more pups were on their way.

I sniffed the air, breathing in the pure scent of Blood Rain. And not just any member of Blood Rain, but Scythe Rider's.

Oh, man, I was a lucky wolf today.

I dropped down on all fours immediately, gritting my teeth as I willed myself to turn. It wasn't completely agonizing as one would think it to be, it was just a few sharp pinches like getting a shot at the doctors and aching afterwards, but it faded slowly.

My body twisted and stretched, my claws slowly curling out as fur raced over my skin and in a matter of seconds, I was a full wolf.

My vision grew sharper, kenner. My ears pricked up in alarm, my tail tilted up toward the sky. My fur was laced with gray, black, and brown up until the tops of my legs as it faded to a whitish brown.

I bared my teeth as the scent grew nearer. It didn't take more than a few moments before Scythe made his appearance from around a great oak. Even as a wolf, he was stunningly gorgeous.

His eyes were brighter, his fur an intricate array of black, gray, and mostly white that also tipped his tail, which was gently swaying as a sign of meaning no harm. I didn't back down, though.

If my father happened to stroll along, because there was no doubt in my mind that he'd pick up on Scythe's scent sooner or later, he'd kill me for even pretending to like Scythe. It made my heart ache as I continued to growl at him.

Instead of being angry, Scythe slowly came to the edge of the border and sat down, his tail curling around his legs as he cocked his head in greeting.

Hello, Zaid. He greeted coolly. Were I a human, I would've frowned. Instead, my tail lowered slowly as I relaxed my muscles, taking a step back. I cocked my head back at him.

Scythe. What're you doing here? We're not supposed to be this close to the borders unless we're patrolling. I scolded him. Scythe was practically grinning, his teeth bared as his tongue lolled out and he barked at me. I growled, telling him to shut up. He kept grinning at me.

I am patrolling. It's my turn. What about you, pup?

I'm not a pup.

You are until you're eighteen. So answer my question.

I came because I smelled you. This is dangerous. Go away.

So, I was thinking about our chat earlier today-

Are you ignoring me?! I growled low in my throat, baring my teeth again and crouching low as a challenge, which I knew I shouldn't be doing, but he was pissing me off. Of course, that didn't affect him at all as he rose on all fours, pacing at the border, swinging his tail to and fro almost mockingly.

And I was thinking, He went on, seriously ignoring me again, Maybe we should get together sometime. Of course, without telling the alphas. That's a major no-no.

You're insane. I accused him, but even as I said it, I was stunned.

Was Scythe Rider asking me out?