Chapter Two

Chapter Two (Zaid's POV)

I wasn't surprised in the least at the yelling when I got home.

Leave it to me to completely forget the most important things to bring home, just because I ended up drooling over Scythe Rider. I just stood in the middle of the kitchen, listening to my mother rant and rave while Ivy stood nearby, scowling in disgust at me like I was the most useless wolf in the whole pack.

Lars just shook his head, but cast me a sympathetic look as his wife, Holly, stood nearby, grimacing as she held her round, pregnant belly.

Meanwhile, I could hear the pups barking and yelping as Breece tried to gain control over them. They were only reacting to the loud noise in the kitchen. I sighed, which was a big mistake because my mother assumed it was meant for her.

"Are you scoffing at me," She demanded angrily, her voice rising an octave, "Ridiculous! If your father were hear, he'd have your head! You're lucky he's patroling the borders of our territory. Really, now, Zaid. You're old enough to do this kind of task. Go finish Lars' job of chopping wood as your punishment for the night. As seeing as you haven't brought enough dinner, yours will go to the pups. Now out!"

I grimaced and just nodded in obedience, drifting out into the living room. Breece cast me a look that told me to watch myself. Not a threatening look, a warning look. I frowned, then went outside, immediately getting hit with a cool blast of spring air. I inhaled the deep scent of the woods, the sound of the insects chirping and frogs croaking in the nearby pond.

My boots crunched twigs and branches as I made my way over to the cutting block, but I stopped as I stared at the axe that was dug deeply into the wooden stump where a log sat, waiting to be chopped for firewood.

It was worth it, I suppose. To be able to talk to Scythe without having to worry if he'd tear my throat out or not.

I looked up at the starry night scowl, feeling goose bumps rise on my skin. I heard a snap and my head swiveled around, my accute hearing on alert as my sensitive eyes scanned the trees. The oaks towered over our home, the branches just beginning to sprout green leaves. The pines gave off their distinct scent and the willow in our backyard drooped sadly.

My eyes rested on the willow and I dared to walk toward it, narrowing my eyes at the darkness. I frowned, feeling the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. My eyes flashed and I whipped around.

Nothing.

Something wasn't right.

Someone was out here.

I felt my muscles grow taut, my body on full alert as I slowly scanned the trees. A gentle breeze ruffled the leaves, making them whisper and dance around. I felt a chill course through me. A strange feeling washed over me as I resisted the urge to turn.

I wanted to turn so badly, but I was warned not to turn until the full moon. Our town was full of superstitious folk who believed that you had to stay indoors during a full moon, which gave us the chance to hunt and roam free as wolves, but any other time of the month was dangerous.

If the humans were to spot us, they'd call the animal control unit without hesitation. People raised livestock within the area and the rule was: See a wolf, call the man.

It'd be especially dangerous if they caught us turning. Humans liked to poke and prode things they didn't understand- Or worst, just kill us. Just ask the Salem witches.

I heard a snap and my body whirled around toward the willow tree again, my breathing hitching as a scent hit my nose. I felt my heart flutter as my legs moved on their own, again, leading me past the willow and into the woods.