I looked at it disbelievingly. The Veronica I knew was crazy and fun, she never offered her hand for a shake but hugged people straight away. 

Is she Veronica, for sure?

Hesitatingly, I moved my hand to hers and shook it.

Immediately, she pulled me towards her and tackled me into a hug. Breath was knocked out of me as squeezed my neck hard. I smacked her on the back lightly and managed, "Ver...can't...breathe!"

"Oh!" she instantly stepped back, "I am sorry, Kathy!"

"No worries," I replied while inhaling and exhaling deeply.

"It's been a long time, Katherine," she started sadly and stopped for five seconds. Yep, I counted. Then she continued with a mischievous glint, "You look as fat as ever,"

Yeah, definitely the Veronica I know.

***

"I need food!" Veronica huffed as we entered Jordan's house.

"We just ate!" Jordan counter cried.

"But I am hungry!" 

"Ate like five minutes ago!"

"Still hungry!"

"When you devoured like a mountain of burgers!"

"Not helping!"

"And the french fries!"

"Grumpy ass make me some food!"

"And oh not to mention the coke!"

"Hey, Kathy?" Veronica's tone changed.

"Yeah?" I asked, trying to control my laughter.

"There was this post card in this mailbox, addressed to you..." she said flipping the package in her hands.

"Me?" I asked astonished, there is only Ace who knows that I have shifted her temporarily.

She nodded and gave me the package. I sat on the bed, Jordan and Veronica on either side of me. Kyle was sleeping on the sofa.

Opening it, I ran my fingers over the beautiful invitation card. It screamed lavishness and royalty. Reading through the description, my eyes focused on the 'Charity Gala' and 'Kingman Industries'.

I looked at Jordan, confused, "Why invite me?"

"May be you can call and ask him," she moved my phone to me uncertainly.

"Hold up! Hold up!" Veronica interrupted loudly, "What is happening here?"

"Jordan," I say, scanning my phone for his number, "You are explaining!"

I could see Jordan salute me from the corner of my eye. Tapping on the call button, I got up and entered the balcony. Soft cold evening winds greeted me softly with the lush smell of freshly watered plants.

After two rings, he picked up the phone, "Kathy?"

"Hey!" I exclaimed, "Are you busy?"

"Baby, I am always waiting for your calls," he breathes out.

"Stop with the corny lines Ace," I mutter but with a small smile on my face, "How is your head?"

"Much better considering Jordan hit me with an iron brush," he chuckles.

"Yeah, I am sorry again. But it was sure as hell entertaining," I giggle and reply back.

"Come to my house and I will show you what real entertainment is, babe," he answered with a husky voice.

That is the voice which made my mind go blank completely and all I want to do is be with him.

"Hello?" I hear him say.

"Sorry, sorry..." I rush out and lie, "The connection is not well here,"

Seeing right through my lies, he mutters smugly, "Yeah right!"

"Anyways," I reply, focusing on the real reason why I was calling him, "Why did I get this invitation?"

"Oh yes," he replied, unsurely, "Actually mum sent it to you. She wanted to meet you desperately and apologise...so she sent it to you. You should come actually, Jordan and Veronica are invited too,"

"Oh," I mumbled.

"Yeah, actually I sent them invitations. There would be some support with you,"

"Ace," I whispered, "There would be everyone there. How am I going to acclimatise between such rich people?"

"Katherine," Ace answered tiredly, "listen, I love you much more than you think and so that it hurts. You are a part of me, babe. And rich people?!" he asked me sceptically, "Seriously you are going to make them a barrier between us!"

"Stop with the exaggeration, Ace," I laughed at his words.

"Seriously, Kathy. I feel like being in a hell hole without you...what are you doing to me?" he whispered out the last part.

My heart swelled at his words. "I don't know Kingman...I could say the same for you..." I whispered out.

***

"I guess we all are going then," Veronica muttered handling her invitation. Then crumbling it between her fingers, she threw the paper in the dustbin.

"What did you do?"Jordan cried out incredulously.

"I won't need an invitation to enter there, Jords," she sighed rubbing the bridge of her nose. 

After a few moments, Ver poked me and asked, "So you got naughty with Kingman huh?"

"Shut up!" I mumbled.

Well, I guess all of us are going then.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I LOVE THAT HAIR.