CHAPTER XXIII

KATHERINE EVY JONES

"This is the HR Department's head, Mr. Kenton," Ace introduces the middle aged man standing in front of me.

I smile at him and shake his outstretched hand. His grip is firm and resolute. 

"Pleasure to meet you, sir," I murmur.

"It's all mine, Miss Jones," he replies warmly.

"Well," Ace interrupts, "Since this is now done, Katherine, Mr. Kenton will let you know the further details...Er... I have a meeting. So I guess I can leave you both to it?"

Me and Mr. Kenton nod our heads simultaneously. 

As Ace leaves, Mr. Kenton releases a breath, that I presume he's been holding in. "He scares you?" I ask, conversationally.

"Uh no..." Mr. Kenton smiles awkwardly.

WELL BUSTED!

I nod and ask about my duties. Being allotted to them, I quickly set up my office and start work.

*** 

During the break time, the office telephone rings.

I hurriedly wipe the oil off my fingers and pick up the receiver, "Hello?"

"How are you liking your first day?" Ace asks.

"It's been great, much better from my first job," I reply with a small smile.

"Well that's good," he replies and I can almost picture him smiling right now.

Then after a few moments of silence, he asks, "You started eating yet?"

"I was about to," I blurt out. Well shit! It's a lie.

"Good, then maybe you can join me in my office?" he asks smugly.

Suspiciously, I retort, "Why?"

"No reason, a person will lead you to my office... he will be there by now," 

On the cue, a boy, I guess here on internship knocks on the door of my office. I put the receiver down and then get up to open the door.

*** 

WOW! Ace's office is like on the opposite side of this building. And trust me, the building is enormous. Literally. You can get lost in it!

I open the big doors to Ace's office, to be admitted in maybe the most luxurious rooms I have ever laid my eyes upon. 

Everything there screams PERFECTION! Masterpieces of some well known artists are put upon the grey walls. A conference table is set up in the middle of the room, around which book shelves are stacked with all types of books, neatly. At the end of the room, Ace sits with two cardboard boxes placed on his table.

"Hey!" he grins at catching sight of me.

"Hey," I say slowly, still struck by the beautiful interior designing of his office.

"You will catch a fly, Kathy," Ace chuckles and then motions me to sit down.

I narrow my eyes at him and try to give him my best glare, but fail. Then with a 'hmpf' I sit down, only to smell the aroma of delicious cheese. He opens the boxes and in there are two large pizzas with extra cheese!

"Great, now you are just making it harder for me not to fall for you," I joke but his eyes are serious at my words.

Without further ado, I quickly munch into my pizza. 

We eat in comfortable silence, only the relaxing music of Mozart, I guess plays in the background.

Finishing the last slice of my pizza, Ace finally asks, "Are we over working you?"

Frowning, I answer, "No, why did you think that?"

He shrugs and then asks with expectant eyes, "So this  is better than your past work?"

I answer promptly, "Of course, Ace. My past job wasn't even... work. Here I feel comfortable and you know I finally feel that my studies are utilised for some reason,"

He nods, smiling ever so slightly. "How are you?" I ask.

"How am I?"

I nod, repeating my question. There is something off about him today. There is the permanent frown, maybe because of stress plastered on his forehead. He looks deep in thought, trying to figure something out and his jaw is tense. 

WHAT!? I am an observant person, it isn't that Ace is any special.

He opens his mouth to say something, but the phone rings. He picks it up and answers, "Yes?...Yeah send him in..."

I look at him with questioning eyes, he just sighs, "The storm has come..."

Seconds later, the door opens and a thunderous voice fills the room, "SERIOUSLY! NOW I NEED PERMISSION TO ENTER THIS ROOM!?"

In comes a man, of probably Ace's age. He has dirty blonde hair, falling upon his light blue eyes and a small blue ear ring glittering on his left ear. He wore low hung jeans and a loose T-shirt.

Ace sighs again and gets up from his chair, so do I. 

On catching sight of Ace, the furious guy punches him on the shoulder lightly and asks again, "Huh? Ace Kingman!? It hasn't been even two days ye-"

His eyes land on me and his mocking furious expression turns into a smirk. Looking at Ace, he says smugly, "So she is the reason why you need to ask before entering here?"

Ace groans childishly and turns towards me, saying, "Katherine, this is my best friend- Cole Finley,"

"Soulmate," Cole corrects Ace and gives me a toothy smile, "Hey Katherine!"

"Hi," I murmur shyly. Cole reaches to me and engulfs me in a BIG hug. WOW, unlike the other guys I had ever seen Ace hanging around with, Cole is totally different. A. He is not in  a business suit and B. He is warm and outgoing, not perverted unlike his other friends, who are just straight up- ARROGANT.

"Yeah, yeah...Now get your hands off her," Ace mutters.

Cole chuckles and whispers in my ear, "He is so whipped by you,"

I blush unknowingly. Then Cole slides off and then gives Ace the bro-hug, which seems pretty hurtful.

"So,"Cole says, snatching the pizza from Ace's hand, "Does s-"

"No," Ace cuts him off. 

I look at both of them, confused. What the fuck are they even talking about!?

Cole looks at me with an expression I do not know, but it vanishes as quickly as it comes. Then he claps his hands and cries, "ACE BABY!?"

"What?" we both ask him.

He looks at both of us and then says slowly, "Ace has a baby! Honestly, you were the last guy I had ever though would have a child at this age and you even love that kid- Kyle!? When the hell are you getting him to meet me? Am I the god father or-"

"Slow down, Cole," Ace says to his best friend.

Cole sucks in a deep breath. Ace asks him, "So how is Miranda?"

"She is great!" Cole replies, then turning to me, "Miranda is my wifey," 

I nod. Cole is really a fun guy to talk to, he doesn't make you feel awkward at all and on top of that, he is able to ease Ace's tension easily. Sometimes, best friends are needed the most. 

After half an hour of catching up of mother fucking two days, there arises a debate. I am kind of unsure what I was doing all this time, man am I human or not!?

It ends with Cole shouting, "SHUT UP! OR I WILL HIGH FIVE YOU! IN THE FACE! WITH MY BUTT!?"

I am pretty sure you know who won.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

COLE FINLEY- BRAD PITT (JUST A LIL YOUNGER)