His words pulled me from my safe thoughts of home, and I sighed. "Sir, I do not know that I can do that."

"Kid-"

"With all respect, General Washington, I am not a child, so please do not call me that," I said through gritted teeth.

"Sorry, Y/N, I just-" he swallowed hard, considering how to phrase his thoughts, "I don't feel like I've impressed upon you the importance of this position."

I quirked up an eyebrow, prompting him to continue.

"Having you as a major-general could be crucial to the future of the army. In the end, you might be all we need to win the war."

"General Washington, I am flattered, but I do not think-"

"But I do. I do think that without you, winning is beyond a possibility. Now, of course, I'm not going to make you take the position, but I want you to understand why I need you to." He sighed, looking over at me with tired but hopeful eyes, and I thought about everything he'd done for the army. It had been years, and he'd been here since the start, risking life and limb for the simple notion of a nation this could become. I felt I owed it to him to do everything I could to help.

"I will do it."

He let out a sigh or relief. "Thank you. I can't tell you how glad I am to hear it. You're dismissed."

"That is it? No briefings or anything? I am just a major-general now?" I furrowed my brow in confusion.

"You'll learn everything you need to throughout this week, and if you have any questions beyond that, you can ask either me or Lafayette. I would prefer the latter, as I am often busy, and anyway, you seem to have taken a liking to him," he said with a wink, and my eyes widened.

"Excuse me?"

"Just because I'm the general doesn't mean rumors from camp don't reach me, Y/N." He hummed. "I've been told that the men from your barracks are having a betting pool on how long it takes you to get together."

"From wh-" I began, but cut myself off as it struck me. "Alex," I muttered angrily. "General Washington, I assure you nothing 'as 'appened between me and Lafayette, and Alexander is utterly delusional."

"You don't need to hide it from me. I fully support my two major-generals getting hitched."

My mouth hung slightly agape, and I could feel the dark blush that was creeping onto my cheeks. "You said I was free to go?"

"I certainly did."

I didn't say another word before standing up and getting out of there. That meeting had left me with just two things—a difficult week of training ahead of me, and another reason to be irritated with Alex.

✧ ✧ ✧ ✧

Five steps.

That was all it took to fire a musket.

Five steps that have to be repeated, refined, and practiced until they can be done in the most efficient manner possible. Failure could cost you your life.

I cursed as I fumbled with the packet, nearly spilling the gunpowder all over the ground. I poured the powder into the gun and stuck the rest of the packet containing the musket ball down the barrel of the gun. I quickly pulled the ramrod out and dropped it down the barrel before returning it to its holder. Finally, I fired on the target that sat across the field from me.

Seventeen and a half seconds.

I groaned in utter frustration as I could feel myself getting slower. It terrified me; those extra few seconds would more than likely have a cost.

When Stars Align || G. Lafayetteजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें