Nervous

The past three nights have been the same, Elvis crooning behind me while I stand stock still and don't move, I don't even listen. I don't even get mad. And every night he would send down Joe for me and I'd tell Joe that I didn't want to see him. The other servers had not caught on yet to what was going on, apart from Rachel who knew exactly who Joe was. I thought she might expire with jealousy, no matter how much I tried to tell her nothing was going on.

After another long night I take my seat at one of the booths with everyone else and light a cigarette. Everyone was chatting about nothing about how busy it has been and will be until Elvis leaves, the usual complaints. I'm not listening much, I'm distracted by the thoughts of the last time I saw him, I had been for days.

Did I do the right thing? Am I still doing the right thing?

I question myself but quickly remind myself that he has a family and I am absolutely doing the right thing.

I put my cigarette out and go to leave before Joe can get here and ask me to see him again. As I stand the doors to the show room fling open and everyone's heads snap up. A group of people come striding in and I sit slowly wanting to make myself disappear into the booth.

He's sent his whole damn army.

As I hear the footsteps get closer I also hear Rachel exclaim "Holy shit" under her breath. I resist the urge to get up and look over the booth to see which of Elvis' many henchmen has caught Rachel's eye. Instead I keep my head down and stare at my feet under the table.

This is embarrassing, I'm only going to tell them all to go away. Does he ever give up?

"Where is Lily?" I hear his voice calmly drift over every one of us until it reaches me and knocks the wind from my lungs.

Apparently not.

The few servers that were still sat in the booth all zone in on me as well as everyone else's head flicking in my direction. My cover blown, I stand to face him. He is stunning in his black slacks and dark blue shirt that is barely buttoned up, he's clearly freshened up since the show.

"I'm here." I say looking him dead in the eyes.

"Can we talk?" He asks gesturing his head toward the door and away from the prying eyes of my colleagues.

"S..sure." I mutter as I squeeze out from my spot in the booth.

When I reach him he nods down at me, says good night to the other servers and thanks them for their hard work before ushering me out the room. I look back at them all quickly and they're all stood around in shock. Embarrassed is an understatement but, I did feel kinda smug.

"I need to get my stuff ready, we can talk in the staff room." I tell him knowing no one will be in there, he says nothing and just nods.

I head toward the staff room and enter without looking back to see if he had followed me inside. I couldn't bring myself to do it. I don't hear the door close for a few seconds after me so I know that he has. I head straight to my locker and pull my bag out ready for me to go home. I take a deep breath before turning around.

"So, what did you wanna talk about?" I ask looking him in the eyes again, trying to keep whatever nerves I have left.

"Where did you go? Huh? You spend the night with me and you run?" His voice was calm but I could tell he was angry. I'm glad none of his bodyguards followed us inside, saves me from even more embarrassment.

"I, huh... Well, I dunno."I mumble losing some of my nerve.

"You dunno? It's not like you weren't here! You've been stood in front of me for three nights!" He exclaims, still not raising his voice and the hairs on my neck stand on end.