Intertwined

The sun blared through the window over Pauls bed and he dragged himself up wards, rubbing his hands down his face and pressing especially hard on his eyes. He glanced over the pile of sheets he'd created in his sleep and found George, his arm flung off the side of his own bed. He glided his hands from his face and through the hair going to the back of his neck. He sniffled, feeling the morning glaze in his eyes. The sun gleamed directly into his eyes, he half-closed them and saw his own eyelashes. He threw the sheet off of him and swung his legs over the side of the bed, hovering them slightly above the carpet. When he finally pressed his feet down on the carpet, he realized he was only wearing one sock. He slowly walked past George's bed and went to the loo. His energy was drained, he leaned on the sink before finally starting his routine. The plastic toothbrush was hanging out of his mouth when he heard George start to get up and shuffle about, most likely collecting things to pack. He leaned over, cracking his back and rinsed his mouth out. He heard George zip his case and let out a shaking sigh. Paul finally curled his hand around the doorknob and exited the loo.

George was kneeling on his bed and throwing a few things in his case and Paul just strolled past, sitting back down on his bed. "Do you want to call yer da or...? I could see if there's buses going round our route?" George was trying to be patient for Pauls sake. Paul continued to stare off at the window, weather it was him dazing off or just plain ignoring the issue at hand, George didn't know. "Paul...? Paul?" George pressed him, kneeling forward.

Paul hunched his shoulders and sighed, trailing his hands down his legs. "No, I'll call him." Paul reluctantly shoved off the bed and went to the hotel phone. George went back to throwing his clothes in the case. Paul dialed and waited with anxious breath.

"Hello?" His fathers solid voice answered and Paul almost hung up. He sat back on the edge of the bed and stuttered for a second or two before speaking.

"Da, s'Paul-"

"I have t gotten a call in how long, Paul. I'd like an explanation-!"

"You gotta come get us..." Paul hiccuped and his father went silent. "Da-?"

"I heard, Paul. What's happened?" His father was concerned and it made Paul all the more nervous. He strained his eyes and looked over at George for something. But George wasn't looking.

"Um...nothing it's just not working out. We'd like to go home that's all." Paul tried to sound confident but he could tell it wasn't convincing in the least.

"Alright, well tell me where you are then." His father said in a quiet voice. And Paul told him their location, pulling his legs up on the bed. "I'll be there late today or early tomorrow." Jim hung up and Paul took the phone from his ear, lowering it to his lap but not hanging it up. George finally quirked his head up as he heard the continuing buzz from the phone. He hoped ip from his bed, snatched the phone from Paul and hung it up for him.

"He said he'll be here late today or early tomorrow." Paul said flatly and leaned back on the headboard of the bed. George sighed.

"Listen, Paul I know this place you might want to go to later." George tried to make Paul feel better.

"What do you know around here-?" Paul cut himself off as George started to look embarrassed. "Oh...ok." Paul nodded to himself and George took that as conformation and went back to his bed, turning the radio on as he sat. The station it was on played through static. Both of them knew they couldn't really leave the hotel room without the possibility of running into the band. So they sat there like the day rolling into the night might only take a few minutes. Soon enough, the radio introduced something quite familiar.

"Here is 'Johnny and the Moondogs' " the hearty radio tone voice made Paul pick his head up sharply. George looked at it in panic but before he could do much or anything, Paul shot up from the bed and knocked it off the stand. And then he just stood there, George looked at him with a gaped mouth.