Rock writers

George and Paul were cramped into the backseat of Jim McCartney's car shaking their legs up and down. Paul was furiously scribbling a few lines down on his paper as his father pulled up through the crowd of rowdy people. As Paul threw his door open, the smell of smoke and marijuana wafted over him. He took a worried glance to his father before he and George climbed out and started walking through the crowd. He tried to keep his eye on George as the crowd thickened but he soon recognized his father whistling so he turned around. From the car, Jim stuck his head out.

"Don't do anything stupid! Don't take drugs!"

Paul and George winced, everyone near them in the crowd laughed and turned towards his father and mocked him. "Don't take drugs." They chorused and waved their bottles around. Paul felt his arm rub against their clothing and as a girl spun around, her dry hair whipped round into his eye. He took George by sleeve and started pulling him to the ramp around the corner. They came across the rowdy youth, There was a couple in the middle of snogging, the bird being pressed up against the chain link fence with her hair curling around it. Paul was sure she'd have the pattern permanently imprinted on her skin when they finished. There was almost no one around as they got to the top. George gave Paul a weary look as they slowly walked down the ramp towards the backstage door. The both froze at the entry, feet sticking in the small puddle of rainwater and spilled alcohol. They gave each other fleeting glances to see who would ring the bell first and eventually Paul reached over and buzzed the bell. The hard heavy door pushed open to reveal a tall intimidating man.

"Hello I'm Paul and this is George for 'Rolling Stone' Magazine, we're here to interview 'The Kinks'"

The man looked them up and down and reached over inside a got a clipboard. He pressed it against his belt and made a few affirming grunting noises as he read over it. "You're not on their list." He said simply and shut the door. George made an audible dry disappointed noise in his throat. So Paul reached over and buzzed the bell again. The man flung the door open and he tried again.

"Here's s copy of the Magazine-" Paul tried to show him but he stopped him.

"If you're not on the list, you're not coming in. " he said even slightly more bitter and slammed the door shut again. Paul heard the sounds of tires squeaking behind them and sighed. He ushered George back up the ramp as a tour bus pulled up clumsily. The red and tan colors stood against the moonlight and the doors squeaked open. Four men fell off the steps in a cloud of smoke and started their way down the ramp past George and Paul. As they shoved past, Paul recognized them. George seemed too as well, giving Paul an impressed look. Without a word, they both stepped down the ramp again stopping near the band.

"Hello, I'm Paul and this is George and we would like to interview you for 'Rolling Stone' Magazine-" Paul cut himself off as the band gave him jarring looks and a lad who must've been their manager stepped towards the two of them. He gave them each their own personalized condescending looks within five seconds. Paul let out a few broken breaths as he waited for him to say something.

"We don't talk to magazines so if you'd kindly leave us alone." The statement wouldn't sound so bad if it weren't for the mans sour tone. He didn't spare them a second glance and went back over to his band. Paul swallowed as he heard the mumbling from them.

"Speaking to rock writers is music suicide, innit?" "Not even a fan, an enemy." and then there was then mumbling laughter. George put his head down and swallowed. Paul was about to scoff his shoes and walk off on the cracked pavement as he heard one of them banging on the door to be let in but he suddenly heard George's voice.

"John, Ringo, Stuart." He bravely addressed them and they turned to him. "I think the synchronized vocals alone on your last album was groundbreaking." George said calmly, pushing his hand against his chest. Paul glanced at George and turned back to the band.