Chapter 4: Mis.Pinky And The Tour

Took me a while to fall asleep, the constant chattering and noise of clinking drinks made it difficult. On the other hand, I did learn a trick or two about applying make-up, so it was safe to say I learned nothing useful, but despite this, I eventually learnt to drown out the noise. I started to relax into the massage chair which had the courtesy to untangling my tense muscles.

'I love this new feeling of relaxation', my voice whispered inside my head, 'Is this how it feels to loosen up?'

I couldn't help but remember Alexander bugging me about it.

"You need to chill girl, all this anxiety and stress ain't good for you." Alexander suggested in a nonchalant tone as we walked past the clubs downtown. It was already past my curfew and I was heading home. I hoped my mother had already gone to bed, it would be more agonizing to look at her worried, disappointed face again. I wished I could erase that painful memory.

"Relax? I can't relax, much less have time to relax." I said in 'duh' voice. The big tests were coming up, and as my father's daughter, it was my duty to carry out his legacy.

"Please," Alexander waved his hand dismissively, before finishing proudly, "Everyone knows you got it in the bag."

"You and I both know anything can happen. The leaders will test my strength, physically and mentally. They only pick the best and very few are selected. Plus you know they hate me, I'm an 'outsider'." I replied using my fingers to draw air quotes around the word.

"You've proven yourself worthy," Alexander replied. "And you have me to vouch for you," Alexander stated smugly, "so basically... your untouchable!"

He grinned mysteriously, grabbing my hand and swinging it back and forth between us. I gave him a questioning look.

"So..." I said, looking at our intertwined hands and then back at him. Alexander was a beast at times, but he had his moments.

"Since I'm betting you're already out past curfew I say let's make the most of it," He said it in a friendly manner, but there was a slight challenge in his voice.

"Like?"

"I know a place."

I waited for him to continue, but he didn't. I rolled my eyes, he wanted me to ask.

"Oh? Well I'll have you know that I also know a place," I thought he would get a laugh at that but he stopped immediately, alert. He turned to face me, his expression unreadable.

"If I told you to run, would you?" He asked, his tone stoic. I was about to reply, but everything changed. It felt as if all the air was sucked out of my lungs. I needed air. I extend my hand to grab Alexander but he was gone. A dark shadow replaced him. He laughed evilly, feeding off of my pain.

Suffocation. I was suffocating! Breathe woman, breathe! Inhale, exhale, inhale, EXHALE!

My lungs gasped for air, they begged for oxygen. I coughed and opened my eyes to see the plane was filled with black smoke. I started to feel dizzy, my eyes became unfocused and blurry. What was going on? Who was responsible for this?

Three words, three devastating words... men in black!

Black boots, black body suits, black ski mask and black gas mask, black everything! They were everywhere, some holding guns, others just standing and waiting for orders. There were faint coughs behind me and then big 'thumps'. And a couple of muffled phrases, "help me" and "what's going on?", all completely useless. Everyone was either on the floor, coughing, or passed out.

I squinted my eyes, trying to focus on a shadow on the floor. A body? I scanned the area and found more limp bodies. The men in black stepped up, one by one, picking my future classmates bridal style. My eyes began to fall. I pleaded with my body to stay awake, at least long enough for my mind to find a way out. I didn't survive the tests just to die like this, weak and pathetic. I was too lost in my thoughts of rage that I didn't notice a man creep up in front of me.