Chapter 28 - Where We Have Left Off

Slowly but surely, Ford's dozy eyes begin to open from his extensively well-earned rest.  Drowsily, he sits himself up as his hazy eyes and senses verify his surroundings.  His body rests on a very plushy bed, which features thick, comfy sheets and fluffy pillows.  It's been so long since he experienced this level of luxurious comfort after having to sleep on hard bedrock for a couple of weeks straight.  The vast royal suite consists of softly warm, heavenly colors such as orange and yellow.  And outside from his window with the silky curtains opened, Ford can hear the birds happily chirping away as if spring has just arrived while ponies are bustling with renewed, cheerful spirits as they go about with their busy lives.

As he turned his head to the joyful noise outside, there is something that catches his attention immediately as his eyes become fully awake.  Staring with disbelief is a simple jewelry box with purple velvet covering the surface, but to Ford, he would recognizable that box from anywhere.  And next to it is an envelope with neat cursive writing that has his name written on there.

He is just about to reach for the box and letter, but his left fore hoof is caught in a snag by a familiar grasp.  Turning to his left side, he smiles warmly at the sight of his beloved.  Rainbow Dash is still asleep in an ever-so cutesy manner as she bears a contented smile while she is subconsciously possessive of Ford's foreleg.

Carefully, Ford reaches out for his items as he doesn't want to stir Rainbow out of her sleep as well as to ruin his surprise for her.  With the jewelry box set closely beside him, Ford takes the time to quietly open the envelope and read the letter to himself.

Dear Ford Mustang,
I certainly hope that this reaches you once you wake up before she does.  I'm sure you know what to do with your precious gift from there!  Anyway, I expect to hear more from you and Rainbow Dash soon once everything is official!  Take care of yourself and good luck!

Sincerely,

Princess Celestia

Afterwards, Ford breaks into a soft, chuckling smile over Celestia's words before he tucks the letter away.  Then, with barely contained anticipation, he lifts the lid of the box and beholds the magnificent sight of his missing ring!  Smiling widely, he dives into a mesmerized state over the return of his one-of-a-kind engagement bracelet, one of Hindel's parting gifts to Ford: the Prismatic Diamond Ring!

Distracted by the colorful sight of the hoof ring, Ford almost fails to notice that Rainbow Dash is rousing from her own slumber.  Frantically, he closes the ring's box and hides it underneath his pillow before he resumes his previous sleeping position just so his eye level matches that with hers.  After she briefly opens her eyes, they are shot wide open once she sees the bright, welcoming smile of her coltfriend. 

Gradually, her awakened eyes lessen into a softer expression as her lazy smile mirrors that with Ford's.

"Hey." he greets her simply.

"Hey."

"How long was I out?"

"About a day.  So how do you feel right now?"

"Honestly, it's the best sleep I ever had in a long time!" he answers joyfully as he gives his back and forelegs a nice morning stretch.  Then, he pulls Rainbow Dash closely as he adds with a giggling smile, "Of course, it's even better when I have my favorite cuddle buddy to snuggle up to!"