Chapter Seven

Ellie was excited and nervous about her first day, at breakfast she sat with her old friend Hermione and her new housemates. She finally found out that the twins she saw the day before were yet another addition to the Weasley clan.
she felt a bit sorry for Ginny, 'imagine being the only girl amongst all those boys.' She thought to herself.

Not that Ellie had that problem, her only sibling - her twin brother had died as a baby. something her parents never liked to discuss, she asked her aunt about it once and the dizzy blonde gambling addict pondered her reply for a while.
Once she finally gave Ellie an answer all she could come up with cot death.
Ellie never believed it 100%...

"Are you athletic at all?" Ron asked, shoving both a sausage and some toast into his humongous gob at the same time. "I like a bit of sport, but I wouldn't say I'm particularly 'sporty' or anything" She replied, "The Gryffindor Quiddich team needs a new beater you see.. just thought you might be interested." He explained, spitting his food all over the place. Hermione watched him in disgust and shook her head. "Do you ever stop eating? Honestly Ronald..." she spat.

There was a busy day ahead, COMC and Potions, a study period all afternoon and of course Ellie wanted to take a more thorough look around the castle.
"We'd better make our way to COMC, Hagrid will be expecting us." Hermione beamed excitedly, "Hagrid?" "Yeah, he's the game and grounds keeper here.. he is a nice guy. Half giant but as gentle as a door mouse." Fred laughed, "GIANT?" Ellie shrieked in horror.

They made their way down to Hagrids hut and Ellie froze on the spot when she saw the huge hairy man. "Well 'Ello 'Ermione, Ron... and who is this we 'ave 'ere?" He smiled, "This is Ellie, she's new here and also in Gryffindor." Harry explained, "it's lovely t' meet ya Ellie! any friend of these three is a friend o' mine!" Hagrid beamed, reaching down and hugging the newcomer. "Erm... Hag... Can't bre..." Ellie gasped as he held her in a bone crushing hug. "Oh Sorry 'bout tha'.. I forget me own strength I do..." He chuckled, and released her.

After COMC Ellie followed Hermione back to the common room to collect their things for potions class. "Now, I will warn you. Professor Snape is... prickly at times.." Hermione explained, "Oh don't worry i have already had the pleasure... or shall I say displeasure." Ellie laughed. "I actually feel sorry for him myself, everyone thinks he's nasty but I just think... I think he's not that bad underneath." Hermione sighed, throwing her advanced potions book into her bag.

When they arrived down in the dungeons Ellie was shocked by its dark and dismal atmosphere, "this is grim." She groaned in dismay. "It is a dungeon Ellie, what were you expecting?" Seamus scoffed with an elbow nudge. "He fancies you." Hermione whispered into her ear, making her cheeks flush. "Don't be silly, besides he is not my type!" Ellie giggled.

Once seated in the potions classroom, Ellie was pulled towards Hermione who was sat beside her. "So, what is your type?" She whispered nosily, "I don't have one, but Seamus is not it." Ellie whispered back. She could hardly admit the truth.. she had taken a shining to a certain Professor. She had barely finished her sentence when that familiar black clad man hovered over their table.

"Miss Fant, I know that you probably assume that you are in some way special after the sorting hats decision, but I can assure you that you are not. So I would appreciate you not taking. In. My. Class.." Snape seethed into the girls face awkwardly. Ellie couldn't believe what she had just heard, she felt angry at herself for being so enthralled by him.

"Hey, what did he mean about the sorting hats decision?" Harry whispered as the dungeon bat skulked off to intimidate someone else. "I don't know if I'm allowed to tell you, Harry. I need to talk to Dumbledore first." Ellie smiled gently, Harry could see she was upset by Professor Snape's outburst and looked at Hermione who shook her head.

After class Ellie packed up her things slower than everyone else, she wanted to speak up for herself in private. "Why are you still here?" Snape scowled as he saw her rise from the her seat. "I'm still here because i want an apology." Ellie spat angrily, "for?...." Snape smirked, and scoffed when he received no reply.

"For.. accusing me of thinking I'm special in some way! I may have talked during lessons but I did not do so because I somehow feel superior. I feel cursed! And scared! and I can't even ask my mother what is happening to me... I do not feel special." Ellie boomed, furious that a man could be so thoughtless and cruel. She sobbed as she headed for the door, but a dark clothed arm pushed it shut.

"Miss Fant.... I..." he tried, but she pulled his arm away with force and fled. Giving him one deeply pained look of pure distain as the door slammed behind her.
'Brilliant, just brilliant.' He thought to himself, before the next class started pouring in.

Ellie arrived returned to her dormitory and threw herself on the bed. She stared at the photo of her parents and sobbed. She couldn't believe how vile Snape was to her, she assmumed even he must have had some empathy.. 'wrong again El.' she thought.

"Hey.... What happened? Was it what Snape said? I wouldn't worry about that he's always scolding us." Hermione tried to reassure Ellie, she sat down on her bed and placed her hand on her side. "It's not even what he said, it's the fact he actually thinks that of me.. he knows my situation.." Ellie sobbed. "Which is? You haven't told me anything about what's going on El, Harry said you needed to discuss it with Dumbledore first but.. you can tell me, we used to tell each other everything."

"Hermione, if I tell you can you not tell Harry or anyone else until i have talke.." "to Dumbledore.. I promise." Hermione soothed. Ellie took a deep breath and sat up to face her old friend.

"I'm in two houses, I'm a Slytherdor. The hat said so... only Snape, McGonagall and Dumbledore know. The look of horror on their faces said it all... I'm scared." Ellie explained, "It can't be, the hat must have got it wrong.." "the sorting hat is never wrong." Ellie groaned. "Well, we are going to visit the library later, to investigate." Hermione insisted. Ellie gave a small forced smile, she didn't believe anything would be of any use.

"How are they? Your parents I mean.."
Hermione asked taking a look at the photo on the bed. "Dead. That's why I'm here." Ellie explained without emotion, it was as if every feeling in her body had been sucked out of her.

"Ellie.. I'm.. how?" Hermione asked in shock. "The Dark Lord." Ellie responded with venom, not towards Hermione but to Voldemort. "Same as Harry... this isn't good." Hermione sighed before adding "lets go to lunch, I'll explain more later." "I'm not hungry. We will catch up later, and thanks." Ellie smiled gently, "for what?" "Listening.. it's been driving me insane.."