Chapter Two

"Are you ready dear?" Dumbledore asked gently, as Ellie packed up the last of her things. "What will happen to everything else?" She panicked, "Do not fret, your Aunt Gillian is going to look after the house. Which of course, is yours now." He explained, and Ellie felt relieved.

They apperated to a strange town, full of wizarding shops and inn's. "Hogsmeade." Ellie gasped, "yes, you are correct. We cannot apperate into Hogwarts grounds you see my dear. We will be meeting a colleague of mine at the train station. I have instructed him to help you to the castle with your bags."
"Ok..." Ellie sighed, as she dragged her own body weight in possessions up the road. Thanks for not helping at all' she groaned to herself.

Once at the train station a black cloaked man approached them. Ellie felt slightly intimidated by the tall, domineering figure with black eyes and long black hair. His weathered and sallow skin completely contrasting against the sea of black. However she found him attractive, like some form of forbidden fruit.

"Ahh Severus! This is our new student, You will be escorting her to the castle for me. As I have something to attend too in the town, I trust that you will look after her until I arrive back at the castle?" Dumbledore asked cheerily, gaining nothing but a grunt in response from the tall dark man... 'Severus'.

"Come along girl I don't have all day." The man scowled, "thanks for the welcome." Ellie replied sarcastically as the man helped load her bags onto the train. Once seated in an empty carriage, Ellie decided to focus on what was outside the window rather than the rude man she had to travel with.

"What is your name girl?" He sneered, his eyes fixed on her intently, Ellie looked up at him and swore to herself his glare was like black ice, and that he could freeze a person if he so wished.
"Fant sir, Ellie Fant." She explained nervously, he was so intimidating she stammered as she spoke.

"Ellie Fant? Are you trying to be funny girl? Because if you are I can assure you tha..." "I'm not trying to be funny at all, Sir. That is my name." Ellie scowled back, finding some inner confidence.
The black cloaked man scoffed to himself and smirked at the girl. "Are your parents idiots or something? What kind of stupid name is that?" He scolded.

Ellie went silent, completely lost for words as she returned her attention back to the view outside. A single tear rolling down her cheek, noticed swiftly by the nasty man. "Why are you crying?" He inquired, trying to look as though he didn't really care..

"My parents were not idiots. And my name is not stupid. They called me Ellie because it means 'light' and 'most beautiful woman', which of course I am not, but to them I was. So I would prefer if you didn't insult my name or my parents, Sir." Ellie explained, looking him dead in the eye with all seriousness.

"Was? I apologise Miss Fant, I had no idea of your circumstances.... for what little it's worth the name suits you. Given its meaning." he sighed, pinching the bridge of his nose and scolding himself for being so cruel. He could never deny that she was infact as beautiful as her name dipicted. "Apology accepted." Ellie replied casually, refusing to give him anymore attention. 'How in Merlins name did I find him attractive?' She asked herself.

Snape watched her, he thought her very beautiful. He wondered how in Merlins name it was possible for eyes to be so blue, there was something other worldly about her. Ellie ignored him for the duration of the journey, although she could see from the corner of her eye his glare was fixed on her.

As the train came to a hault, Snape picked up her bags and stood aside to allow her to exit the carriage first. Ellie could not believe he was being so gentlemanly. She put it down to guilt.
"Thank you, Sir." She said plainly, but she had no smile for him.

Once at the castle, she looked around in amazement. There were students everywhere, laughing, joking and going about their daily routines. The castle itself left her completely dumbstruck.
Snape could see the awe on her face and acknowledged it, "If you think it's impressive now? Just wait until you see the moving staircases." He spoke, giving a small, uncomfortable smile.

"It is just how my mother used to describe it, it's amazing." Ellie replied.
She followed Snape to what she assumed was the headmasters office, and elderly witch with a serious face and a pointy hat stood beside the door.

"Albus has not arrived back yet Severus, and this must be Miss Fant..." The lady smiled warmly. "This is Professor McGonagall, she is the head of Gryffindor house and transfiguration Professor." Snape explained, and Ellie smiled at the witch. "I'm so pleased to meet you Professor McGonagall! My mother used to mention you often." Ellie smiled, shaking the witches hand.

"Ahh Yes, I remember your mother so well, she was one of my favourite students. Incredibly bright... but never too far from trouble if my memory serves me well. Though, between you and me... I used to find it amusing when she would drive the other proffesors to exasperation!" McGonagall chuckled as she reminisced.

"Severus, you must remember her mother, she was in the year below you. A Ravenclaw, Davina Farechild?" "Davina..... I do indeed remember her Minerva." Snape nodded, he looked at Ellie and gave her a small nod too.

"Were you friends?" Ellie beamed excitedly, "No." Snape scowled in return.
"Oh...." Ellie replied with disappointment. "We held no ill feelings though, we would often say hello." He added, trying to sound less harsh, the truth was too hard to admit to.
He only ever had one friend..... and even that didn't last.