26. I'm Finally Home

Start from the beginning

I tried to argue my point, "Yeah, but if Damon..."

My voice trailed off as I heard a snarl escape Nik's throat. The mixed look of both rage and jealousy that covered Nik's perfect features startled me. I started to ask him what was wrong but it hit me. I mentioned Damon. The rage on Nik's face was for the fact that Damon had hurt and killed me. And the jealousy, well there was the fact that I had stood by Damon against Nik and of course I had slept with him.

I snuggled back up to him. "Look, we're here now. That's what's important."

My breath caught in my throat as I saw the raw emotion on his face. He kissed my forehead, "Yes, you're here where you belong... and once I have my doppelganger we'll leave Mystic Falls for good."

I pulled away, staring at him in disbelief. I should have known better, ever since moving back to this godforsaken town every ounce of my happiness... of peace... was sucked from my soul like a leech on my skin.

Nik was instantly alert, looking around us. He mistook my reaction to his statement.

"Are you freaking serious?" I asked, this had to be a joke.

Nik took my hand, genuinely confused by my question, "What's wrong love?"

I pulled my hand from his, then stood and pulled on my jeans. I could feel the tears forming behind my eyes but I fought them as I slipped my runners on. Nik stood too, his eyes searching mine for what was wrong with me. Once again he reached for me and once again I pulled away.

"You don't know me at all? Do you really think I'm going to let you take one of my oldest friends to use as a blood bag?" my voice came out as a whisper.

I could tell from the look he gave me that yes, he did think I would be ok with it. I no longer felt like crying, I just felt anger.

"You'll have to go through me first!"

And with that I took off running, I didn't stop until I was at the boarding house. I walked past my group of friends and went straight to my room. I grabbed a gym bag from the bottom of the closet and quickly threw my belongings into it. Throwing the bag over my shoulder and started to leave the room, pausing when I heard glass crunch under my step.

I moved my foot and lowered the bag to the ground, I followed the bag sinking to my knees. I picked up the broken frame and plucked the picture from the shards. A single tear dropped onto the glossy surface as I looked down at the happy family. In the picture I was making a silly face at the camera as my parents looked down at me fondly.

Would I ever be that happy again?

This stupid war over the doppelganger was ripping me apart. I knew the answer was simple, choose my friends. But the thought of not being with Nik was like denying who I truly was.

Taking a deep breath I put the picture in my bag and headed downstairs. I walked into the library and looked around at the faces of my friends, old and new... and Damon. None of them spoke, they just waited for me. When I did speak, I made my voice very clear,

"I'm tired. Not physically but emotionally. I'm tired of the fighting, I'm tired of the secrets and I'm tired of having to choose," I paused for a moment making sure they were all paying attention before continuing, "So I am making one final choice. I will stand by Elena until this doppelganger bullshit is resolved one way or the other. Then I'm leaving. I love you all..." My eyes landed on Damon, "... well most of you, but I am IN love with Niklaus. Now I will try and help Elena but after that... well after that I won't be here to care what happens."

Now I turned to Elena, "I need you to pack a bag."

They all stared, as if unsure of what to say. Sighing, I spelled it out for them. "If the big bad guy is after the very breakable human it's probably best not to be sitting in a house that he can stroll into. I mean seriously, how are you all still alive when any vampire, hybrid or original can just waltz in here?"