Part 5

I sat at home that night, nervously. My twelve hours were almost up.

        I hoped that if Draiden hadn’t gotten my potion, it was someone who I’d never really spoken to, and would never really speak to, so that they could go on and live their unaffected. But then again, maybe I deserved whatever horrible consequences were dealt to me, as a result of my actions. Why had I ever thought that I could control a force as powerful as love?

      At ten thirty, I was aroused from my dreams of Draiden by the violent buzzing of my phone. I’d received six texts within the past minute… all from the same person. This couldn’t possibly be a coincidence.

         I’d found my drinker.

       “Oh no…” I mumbled. The result couldn’t possibly be any worse. I quickly turned off my phone and buried my face in my pillow, praying for sleep to claim me once again. I would certainly need it for the day to come.

***

         “Well,” began Julie, “It could have been worse.” 

         We sat at our usual table in the lunchroom. Julie had regained her posture over the course of the night, but mine, was all but diminished.

       “Worse? How could it possibly be worse?” I questioned her, “At least if it was a stranger I could have avoided conversation forever, but I can’t avoid him! He’s my friend! We have to find a cure!”

      “Well, at least now we know who, and I’m working on it…quit fidgeting!” she instructed me as I glanced over my shoulder for the eighteenth time, looking for Bryce.

        I saw him just as he made his way out of the lunch line. We made eye contact and I looked away hurriedly. We walked over to our table and sat down.

        “Hey,” he said calmly. I looked up at him in surprise. Wasn’t he supposed to be like madly in love with me, or something?

          “H-hi,” I replied, nervous.

         “So, I texted you last night,” he began slowly. He seemed very composed, and almost…older, but maybe crazy, desperately all-consuming love could do that to you.

         “Yeah, I saw.”

         “Did you read them?” he asked me, his voice shaking ever so slightly, a clue to the nervousness he was hiding so well.

       “No…I didn’t get a chance…” I said apologetically. He sighed. We were silent for a moment. I glanced at Julie, she shrugged back at me, but said nothing. Bryce broke the silence first.

         “I really didn’t mean to freak you out or come on too strong or…” he sighed, “I’m just going to say it…” he began. I tried to swallow the lump in my throat, “Emma, I want to take you to the dance. Last night, I woke up, and I just knew that you were too beautiful and funny to let get away. So please,” he reached up a hand to brush a few strands of my hair from my face. My stomach fluttered, “Please, Emma, go to the dance with me…”

         I felt sick. This was so twisted. I didn’t like Bryce! I mean, I liked Bryce…But I didn’t like Bryce! I liked Draiden! I couldn’t go to the dance with Bryce, especially when he was under the effects of the potion! I opened my mouth to tell him I was flattered, but wasn’t interested. But as I looked up into Bryce’s beautiful green eyes, that were complimented so perfectly, by his dark, curly hair, and were so full of love (artificial love, but still!) for me, I couldn’t hardly bear to tell him no.

           “Um…I…” the bell rang, “I have to go to chemistry!” I blurted out, desperate for an exit from the conversation. I stood up, avoiding Bryce’s confused, hurt eyes, and nearly sprinted out of the lunchroom. My life officially sucked.

***

Comment. Vote. Follow. You know what to do.

Also (if you have a spare moment) check out some of my other works.

-Claire xx